New boat - Rigging question

uncutproducts

Just picked this up.

Is this how you use halyard as vang?

Adding outhaul and Cunningham as well as double halyard. Got shock cord for daggerboard retainer. Have to swap pulley on deck for eyelet.

Upgraded to ratchet block but this is pretty much how I picked it up other than replacing lines.

weighed hull and she’s 125lbs.

6B539B68-A1F2-4639-B054-0D3130165046.jpeg

Attachments

• 0524CB37-BD8C-48BA-A06E-3BDF0E6171A3.jpeg
    0524CB37-BD8C-48BA-A06E-3BDF0E6171A3.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Uncutproducts,

Nice find! 125 lbs. is pretty amazing,

Shameless commerce comment: I have a bunch of Class legal deck eyes for sale at $8 + shipping each if you need one. Let me know.

Enjoy your new boat.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Congratulations on your new boat. She looks very clean, original and early 1980s vintage.

The Racers will wander by eventually to comment on the halyard, we are simple Reccers.

Yes that is how to use the halyard as a vang. I’ve not seen anyone else run it around the gooseneck twice , but it should be fine!

Thanks! Only concern with this is being able to uncleat the halyard quickly. Also, with double halyard setup would i have to redo vang if swapping halyard on the water? Or should I add a cleat to the mast for vang?

Yes that is how to use the halyard as a vang. I’ve not seen anyone else run it around the gooseneck twice , but it should be fine!

Why would you swap the halyard on the water?
Perhaps you meant adjust the halyard on the upper spar?

And a cleat for the vang is illegal. You can put one halyard cleat on the mast. Also not sure what you mean about halyard swapping.

My understanding is you untie top halyard so you can lower top spar to depower rig. If you’re using halyard for vang would you have to untie whole thing or just use bottom halyard for vang?

And a cleat for the vang is illegal. You can put one halyard cleat on the mast. Also not sure what you mean about halyard swapping.

For someone new at the (racing) game, you don't want the double halyard set-up.
Moreover, you will save yourself some dough, unless you already bought the components.

My understanding is you untie top halyard so you can lower top spar to depower rig. If you’re using halyard for vang would you have to untie whole thing or just use bottom halyard for vang?

You can either use the bottom halyard for the vang, or use a mast halyard cleat for the top halyard. If you do the latter, you can still use the top halyard as the vang if you want.

But I’m with Wavedancer. The two halyard system usually comes into play only when it’s blowing above 15, so it’s a lot for a new Sunfisher to deal with for conditions you don’t see that often.

How did the first races go Sunday?

Races cancelled, grrrrrr. Didn’t even start blowing hard until way later.

I like the idea of double halyard as I’m on the smaller side. Would be nice to be able to depower.

Our conditions are regularly over 15. They took optis out at bellport to 25+

You can either use the bottom halyard for the vang, or use a mast halyard cleat for the top halyard. If you do the latter, you can still use the top halyard as the vang if you want.

But I’m with Wavedancer. The two halyard system usually comes into play only when it’s blowing above 15, so it’s a lot for a new Sunfisher to deal with for conditions you don’t see that often.

How did the first races go Sunday?

I would sail with a regular set up first. You need to get the feel of the boat and what makes it fast. Do you have a hiking strap?

Some top sailors are not adjusting the outhaul even downwind as they want max sail size. Cunningham on in heavier air and chop by feel. The main thing is keeping the boat flat so a lot of sheeting and smooth tiller work.

If you are on the lighter side sail with a small jens all the time.

I race with a very fast group and some have regular setups, some have two halyards and some jens all the time and they are all fast. They get great starts, hit every shift correctly, boats are flat and boat handling is perfect. On a Sunday they get at least 12 sunfish out and get five races in.

Even in 15 mph if you adjust from full rig to jens, you still will be hiking, steering and sheeting a lot.

Thanks! I have a hiking strap, need to replace it though.

I would sail with a regular set up first. You need to get the feel of the boat and what makes it fast. Do you have a hiking strap?

Some top sailors are not adjusting the outhaul even downwind as they want max sail size. Cunningham on in heavier air and chop by feel. The main thing is keeping the boat flat so a lot of sheeting and smooth tiller work.

If you are on the lighter side sail with a small jens all the time.

I race with a very fast group and some have regular setups, some have two halyards and some jens all the time and they are all fast. They get great starts, hit every shift correctly, boats are flat and boat handling is perfect. On a Sunday they get at least 12 sunfish out and get five races in.

Even in 15 mph if you adjust from full rig to jens, you still will be hiking, steering and sheeting a lot.

Back