New boat and lots of questions

Sun-RA

Just inhereted a 1968 (that's what I was told) sunfish. The boat/hull is in great shape but the sails and all lines are shot. I have a couple novice questions-
1) What size line is used for the rigging on the boat? I saw on-line that 3/16 is recommended for the halyard and 3/8 for the mainsheet. A 3/8 mainsheet seems big for such a little boat. Any recommendations?
2)My boat has a small hook just aft of the centerboard on the rim of the cockpit. What is this for?
3) There is no mainsheet block in the middle of the boat (cockpit area). New boats appear to have this. Is my boat missing parts?
4) I found a new sunfish sail for $150 on-line. Everyone else is selling them for $280. Anyone ever buy one of these less expensive sails? Are they junk?

Thanks

Sun-RA,

Welcome aboard! Although a smaller line would probably work as a main, your hands will probably thank you for the 3/8, since they are a little easier to hang on to when you're not cleated or blocked.
The hook on the forward lip of the cockpit is not, as many assume, a badly-designed bottle opener. It is, rather, a badly designed knee-opener. AKI, it helped hold the mainsheet by running it under the hook, and holding the free end against the tensioned end. It works, but not very well. Most people have replaced it with a good Harken block.
Your boat, from that era, is not missing a factory block. I can understand the confusion, though, because aside from most YMCA camps, I don't know any Sunfish/Clonefish owners besides myself that haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.
As for the sail, I don't think that OEM sails are overrated, I think they're well worth the money. I also think that aftermarket/recycled sails run well enough that if you're just tooling around learning how or enjoying sailing and not racing, you probably won't notice any difference but the price.

Keep us posted!

I just replaced the running rigging on my 84, using 5/16 marston for the sheet and it works just peachy. I used 1/4" for the halyard and it is just fine, though it is probably overkill by 1/16, I did get a good price and the fancy yellow color was free!

Sun-Ra

Check over at Yahoo Sunfish Sailor, files section. They have an age chart by serial number that may help you zero in on your SF's age. They also have a lot of SF info on repairs and such.

1. 3/8" is a little big and may have trouble passing through the boom blocks easily. For your main sheet get 33' (28' is too short) of line (5/16") (Rooster Polilite or other non water absorbing/non tangle type line). For your halyardand get 24' (3/16" ) (Marlow Excel Racing or other non stretch line).

2, 3. The notorious hook. As noodles explained, for holding the mainsheet. Also a good (in a bad way) to get your knee/leg sliced open. Suggest removing the hook (now, do not pass go, do not collect $200) and adding a Harken 019 rachet block, standup spring (071) and eye strap with backing plate to the deck lip just above the hooks former location. You are not missing any parts in that area, the block became standard equipment much, much later.

4. For recreational sailng the $150 sails will work just fine, but you can't race with them. The Vanguard Sails are the only legal sails for racing (if you so desire). The rec. sails from Vanguard are a good investment and can be ordered in many colors. The Racing Sail is needed only if you get into serious racing and is a bit bigger, has extra reinforcement and a window (a good idea) and it costs a lot more. A window can be ordered with some rec. sails or installed by a good sail loft.

APS, Wind Line Sails, Layline are just some on-line sources for parts (block, spring etc.) and sails. Vanguard sails, the prices will be about the same at any Vanguard dealer.

Back