New blocks

This topic has been discussed (as nauseam?) here and elsewhere (Sailing Anarchy). Just use the Search function (upper bar on this page) to find the prior thread(s).

we've got a box of them coming from LP, so I will get a set for my boat and test them out for myself.

Heaving ball bearing blocks should help big time easing in light air.
Traveler blocks as one unit makes sense to me too.

They look cool, I'll blog about how they are when I get them out racing, I think that will be next Monday.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it seemed the best way to ask the question:

The new class legal blocks will be available in the UK next month and I've pre-ordered a set. Does the boom need to have the existing rivets removed in order to fit the new ones or are they installed using a pin and split-ring method ?

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel

Sorry, It's taken me a while but I've found the answer on a US website:

"In order to install the boom blocks, you will need to remove both eye straps holding your current blocks on by drilling out the rivets. Upon reinstalling the eye straps with the new Harken blocks, we suggest using our Throughbolt Kit for Laser® Boom Block Eyestraps. Reinstalling pop rivets is not recommended as the holes may be enlarged by the drilling out of the original rivets."

Apologies, I hope that's useful for somebody,

Nigel

I suspect that you want notice the ball bearing factor of these new blocks because often the blocks do not hang in-line with the direction of the mainsheet, once the mainsheet is eased out for reaching, when the main is on anymore, the existing blocks already run well. The real plus for the new blocks will be that the traveller component will be one piece.

I got to race with the new blocks last night.

Wasn't that breezy, but nice thing was easing around the weather mark.

The line ran out very well during the bear away. Didn't have to lean forward to push the boom out unless the wind was really light.

Traveler was cool but I was focused on the boom blocks.

We got a shipment in and they are all headed out the door with dozens more on the way.
Seem to be popular, and they are arriving just in time for the big gorge events around here.

We got a shipment in and they are all headed out the door with dozens more on the way.
I ordered a set of the new blocks from WestCoast nearly 3 weeks ago and they have yet to ship. Each week I have been told they will ship.

I'm not too fussed about the new blocks. Old ones work fine and I have spare sets of the old style (like a lot of people I guess). Until I run out of them (may take a while) or I get a new boat that comes with them I'll be sticking to the old ones. Don't see the point in spending lots of money for no good reason.

I'm not too fussed about the new blocks. Old ones work fine and I have spare sets of the old style (like a lot of people I guess). Until I run out of them (may take a while) or I get a new boat that comes with them I'll be sticking to the old ones. Don't see the point in spending lots of money for no good reason.

Likewise. I actually really like the new blocks and, some time ago in a F2 I gybed and the traveller pair separated from each other (so I mistrust them a bit) but I cannot justify that much money when I have stuff that works (plus spares now).

If/when I run out of spares and need some more then I'm sure I will get the new ones rather than old style.

Ian

Our original shipment from the manufacture has been broken up into a bunch of smaller ones 'due to unprecedented demand' we are told. We got just 8 in on Monday and those have all gone out.

Don't worry # 19, we ordered cases of these, and we're mailing them out as soon as they arrive from the manufacturer! Wish we could get our entire order in one shipment as intended when we ordered it, but at least they are starting to land and go out to customers now.

I went out yesterday in 10 to 15 winds and just put the new blocks on. I am really
stoked I do like the one piece traveller block. It really cranked in smooth and the boom
blocks with the ball bearings made a smooth entry. Going off wind it went out
great didn't have to push it. I am useing the old school Harken hexarachet black un.
Thought about the Ronstan 55mm auto man, anyone have any advice on these.

We had an RYA "On Board" event at Alton Water today (for those that don't know, this a scheme promoting the sport of sailing to kids) As part of this event Laser Performance sent down 30 Laser Bugs for the day which went down very well indeed. Laser's representative had a set of the new Laser blocks in his van and I took the oportunity to inspect them - they really are very nice indeed, very smooth running and very much in the manner of Harken's other current range of products. The blocks are attached to a card with full fitting instructions on the reverse and even come complete with four rivets in order to re-attach the fittings,

Nigel

Oh well, I get my chance to try them this week. I won a set as the lucky door prize for our annual prize giving last night :D

The new traveler block seems to creep to windward. If I can't figure out a way to stop that from happening I will be back on the old style for regattas.

Thanks WestCoast for getting those new Harken Blocks shipped. Very easy install. Run much smoother then the original blue ones.

As my old blocks are shot, and me being a tight wad, is it likely that anyone will be selling off the old blocks cheaply ? I'm not fussed about having the new ones if the price is right.

I've not seen any anywhere :-(

Had a quick look and the original blocks are all available from rooster (as individual blocks rather than a set). Couldn't see them on sailboats.co.uk but would imagine they would have them if you phoned up.

Had a quick look and the original blocks are all available from rooster (as individual blocks rather than a set). Couldn't see them on sailboats.co.uk but would imagine they would have them if you phoned up.

And very reasonable too, all 4 blocks for £25, I had a feeling it was going to be a lot more given the price of the new blocks in the US ($100ish) and the fact that when stuff comes over here retailers seem to think that 1 pound = 1 dollar

My local chandler got their stock in today (Seamark Nunn in Suffolk) so I'll be picking up my new blocks tomorrow - I removed the old fittings this evening so hope to fit them tomorrow evening and give them a test sail on Saturday
smile.gif

Nigel

sailboats.co.uk have them for £74.95 but wont ship them until 19th July.
I must admit changing from the standard blocks to Harken bullet blocks on my laser 2 made a vast difference, but these look only half way there like there from the budget range ?

A supplementary question for you in relation to fitting the new blocks: The old rivets on the boom had a white sealant (silicon ?) squirted in the holes in the pop rivets - do I need to do something similar to the newly fitted rivets ? There's nothing mentioned in the fitting instructions but I was just a bit intrigued ..........is this just to slow up water ingress or does is serve some other purpose,

many thanks in advance,

Nigel

Back