New blocks... not quite pro???

JuanCH

Hi all, I´ve been noticing that some top notch laser sailors don´t use the new blocks. I´ve asked a friend of mine (ranks 7 worldwide) he says that he prefers the old ones since when it comes to easing the sheet the new ones work pretty fast and it´s hard to feel the pressure on the sail.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

for the record last year I installed the new ones on my Laser!!

The new ones are nice to have. Less friction and run out faster. They are not essential and if you have the old ones not an important upgrade.

I usually keep my main block on the ratchet setting so easing feels the same with the new blocks, I think the new blocks definitely make a difference on starts and leeward mark rounding where you need to sheet in fast, I think the pro's will use them for the same reason.

---snip---I think the new blocks definitely make a difference on starts and leeward mark rounding where you need to sheet in fast, I think the pro's will use them for the same reason.

How fast you sheet in is much more a function of mechanics, ie your style of sheeting of in and how fast you are at it. The small difference in friction between the old and new blocks is not going to show up there.

The new blocks seem to help with letting the main out on a broad reach and gybing in light air. Also the main sheet doesn't seem to drag in the water as much when the boom is out all the way.

The reason most of the top guys still use the old blocks is because the new blocks have a tendancy to creep inboard up the traveller and you need to foot the boom to push them back out to the corner.....

Personally I like the new blocks and tend to adujst the vang/cunningham to ensure the blocks stay on the corner.

The new blocks are also quite fragile - I'm aware of several people that have had the new blocks fail on them.

I'm quite happy with the old style.

The new blocks are also quite fragile - I'm aware of several people that have had the new blocks fail on them.

I'm quite happy with the old style.

Interesting, I have been abusing mine (8.1 sailing mainly) since they were launched with no issues at all.

Did they report this to LP/Harken? Would be intresteding to hear what they say.

They include some of the olympic squad girls - no idea if they contacted LP, I was just with them when they were stocking up on old style blocks at a Q as the new ones were failing for them.

Back