New Aluminum Sunfish Pro Tiller

Hi,
I was thinking about making a second tiller for my Sunfish out of ash and then I came across a new Sunfish Pro Tiller. I thought that it would be nice to have a tiller that I don't have to refinish every couple of years. The only problem is the price. Almost $200.00 is a little to much for me. (Extension is about $25.0) So I'm thinking of making one for myself and maybe one extra for someone who would provide me with all the necessary dimensions. It looks to me like a 15 minute job.

Attachments

• 43004[1].jpg
    43004[1].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
I don't have an aluminum one so cannot give you the dimensions. This seems like an interesting idea, but where are you going to get the anodized aluminum tubes?

Hopefully someone will give you the dimensions, but it should not be hard to figure out - you can make it the same length as your wood one, and it just needs to be the right dimesion to go around the blade. Only issue is likely to be getting the two tubes parallel to the rudder head - they are going to naturally be angled without doing something to them. BB

Hmm,
Somehow I thought that the two long pieces are solid aluminum bars about 1/4 x 1" and not tubes. If comes to anodizing it is no problem.

Hmm,
Somehow I thought that the two long pieces are solid aluminum bars about 1/4 x 1" and not tubes. If comes to anodizing it is no problem.

They are tubes with an oval cross section. Probably about 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" x approx 1/2" or maybe a bit more than 1/2". I have only seen a new tiller once or twice, so my dimensions may be off. BB

They are tubes with an oval cross section. Probably about 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" x approx 1/2" or maybe a bit more than 1/2". I have only seen a new tiller once or twice, so my dimensions may be off. BB

Thanks for the info. It is a good chance that oval tube is a custom extrusion, and it will be very difficult to get. But if it is not custom, I'm sure I can find it. For that I will need the exact width, length, and the thickness of the wall of the cross section. If comes to the design of the tiller, I can see why the tube would be a good choice. Tube makes for the whole structure to be light and stiff, but only one impact or footstep from the side and the nice aluminum tiller is useless. I will do some testing and will design the tiller for my second Sunfish/Super Sunfish boat. I will use a solid 3/16 or 1/4" x 1 or 1 1/2" extrusion. What do you think?

This seems like an interesting idea, but where are you going to get the anodized aluminum tubes?
The availability of anodizing in high grade (aircraft) tubing is standard, you just have to specify what you want. But, this level tubing is going to be way out of Home Depot's league.

Color dyed is a little tougher to find off the rack. Contact a custom motorcycle shop in your vicinity and see if they will reveal their custom color jobber.

Only issue is likely to be getting the two tubes parallel to the rudder head - they are going to naturally be angled without doing something to them
Looks like the custom spacers/integral tiller straps force the tubes into parallel when they are screwed together. What I wonder is how the screws are prevented from flattening the tubing.

As simple as they are, those spacers aren't going to be cheap either, considering their low production volume.

It is a good chance that oval tube is a custom extrusion, and it will be very difficult to get.
Appears to be. A pricy design choice for a boat who's popularity is partly founded on economy. On the other hand, it would be rather Euro-classy looking duplicated in laminated wood.

But if it is not custom, I'm sure I can find it. For that I will need the exact width, length, and the thickness of the wall of the cross section.
A quick Google says it's going to be a tough find in aluminum.

I can see why the tube would be a good choice. Tube makes for the whole structure to be light and stiff,
Curiously, oval tubing's strength is in the wide direction. The double tube design does, however, shift the load resistance to tension and compression rather than tube flex.

but only one impact or footstep from the side and the nice aluminum tiller is useless.
That looks to be a hazard..., especially at $215 ... YIKES :eek:

Wood tiller ~$135 ... w/straps and tiller extension ~$189 ... hmmm... :( maybe not so outrageous for the 21st century economy.

43004-2.jpg

Photo Link - West Coast Sailing​

I was at my local hardware store (Danvers Hardware) and I saw some aluminum tubing that looked anodized to me. It had sort of a dull finish rather than a shiny one. It was about $10 for 8 feet of 3/8", not too bad. So you might be able to find it at a hardware store. I know Danvers Hardware is a True-Value store, so maybe check with your local branch.

Back