New aluminum siding

savage

Hi,
Over the winter I received a 1971 (or older) sunfish sailboat in poor condition. It had not been near water for 15 years and had been stored uncovered....outside. I fixed it up and it looked amazing. This weekend I took it up to Indian Lake for it's first time on the water. It sailed just fine. We left it tied to the dock while we ate lunch and when we came back down we noticed the paddle boat had managed to get on top of the bow and it left some pretty deep scratches.:( (Yay something else to do this winter!) Also the aluminum siding managed to get really really scratched up. I was wondering if anyone knew how much new aluminum siding is worth, where I could get it, and if It's worth it to replace it? Thanks!
Lauren

JMHO, but I'd look into the flexible molding Phil used on his restoration.
The original aluminum trim strip came in 10 foot lengths, but shipping (too long for UPS and it always came damaged) made it's cost almost triple the price, so they sell 5 foot lengths.
The rivets holding the trim on have no stuctural function and only hold on the trim. The aluminum trim BTW is a real pain to get the ends/edges flat against the boat and not raise up to catch anything geting near it...LOL. It's at least a two person job holding and drilling for the rivets and riveting.

Some people have used garden hose of the appropriate size, cut lengthwise. Obviously at much lower expense.

Re: New aluminum siding vs. vinyl siding

Hmm, boats are more like houses than I realized. My neighbors were just deciding whether to put vinyl or aluminum siding on their house. BB;)

Back