New addition

Beekeeper

Well, I picked up a Phantom yesterday. It was for sale on Marketplace for $650 for most of the winter with no offers and I picked her up yesterday for $250. It has a decent, still crisp Sunfish sail and a Sunfish gudgeon with a nice Sunfish rudder and tiller setup on her. Loading the boat on my trailer with my wife we were both surprised how light the hull was, I know they're supposed to be lighter, but this was noticeable. Everything seemed to be in good shape, I'll rig her up today and check things out. Now, what to sell this spring and what to keep.

That's a great price for a Phantom. The sail alone is worth $250. I have owned two of them. Two cautions: The rounded over hull/deck joints often delaminate and leak. Check this joint regularly and make repairs with thickened epoxy and spring clamps as needed. Also, the bailer area often leaks into the interior of the hull. Check for cracks and make epoxy repairs if needed. If you need a new Phantom bailer assembly, I have a few for sale.

The Phantom is a fast, stable Sunfish clone and the hull underbody is being used in David Clark's Rocket design. Good design, leak issues notwithstanding.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks for the info, I cleaned her up yesterday and she looks pretty good. The previous owner said he did a leak test with a vacuum cleaner and soapy water last summer and found no leaks and said she was always dry after an afternoon sail. The sail is a Kevane sail and is still clean and crisp. I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Here are the pics of the Phantom, I thought I read somewhere that these boats were in production up to 1983 but the last three digits in the hull# are 990.

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_140722.jpg
    IMG_20230322_140722.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230322_142845.jpg
    IMG_20230322_142845.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230322_142824.jpg
    IMG_20230322_142824.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
I was going to sell the Phantom but might hang on to it for a while, along with that Windflite I picked up in January. I varnished the wood trim, and on a warm day last week buffed the deck on the Windflite, the shine was blinding.

Back