Neverending Laser Thread

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
There are more posts in this thread than any other in the history of the Laser Forum...

Of course the posts have to be about sailing Lasers or it will have to move.

I took my puppy to the dock today but we didn't go for a ride yet.
Anybody else sailed with a puppy?? Or dog??

Haha! I couldnt sail with my dog, he'd freak out... scared of water. water makes waves. I try to surf waves. surfing waves is fast. fast is fun. Dogs are fun.

In a way yes, and in a way no.

This morning as I left the beach there was a woman walking her dogs. One was smaller than the other. Who's to say it wasn't a puppy. In any case, while I was sailing my laser, I remembered that puppy, briefly.

There was a dog turd on the beach when I came back in.

There was a dog turd on the beach when I came back in.

This is too easy.

I can't resist though

I mean

growing up is not one of my objectives.

So. with apologies to Chainsaw...

"Was there anything else next to you??"

OK back to the topic.
My old Golden used to chomp at the splashing water. This was accompanied by his eager dancing feet and wagging tail. it was obvious he was having a great time or I would have been really pissed about getting my shins mutilated by his claws..

lol :D luckily there was also a tree nearby.

Funny you should mention dogs,

There is a headland above the bay I sail in and if you stand up there on a moonlit night with a good breeze, sometimes, you can see the wind make the shape of a puppy's head on the water.

Just as an aside...we wouldn't want to get off topic

I have found some homebrew steriliser in the cupboard and I'm experimenting soaking my sailing boots in it to get rid of the "doggy smell".

Has anyone used the cockpit of an old laser to make homebrew?

I once saw a bong made from a blown mast step, but that was a long time ago...Cockpits make good ice chests and with a little work, (air hose inserted into bailer) you can make a whirlpool for little people or small dogs, (there, back on topic).

Apologies for the quality of the 'photo which is over 20 years old, but here's one Laser sailing dog on 32339.

Attachments

• Dog On Laser Deck.jpg
    Dog On Laser Deck.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
haha, I'd love to take my dog out for a sail with me but our club is in a nature reserve so I have to leave him at home!

I dont know about dogs, I have taken a few women out on the Laser. What ends up happening is you are so close to them you have to be touching. Then you suggest they lay on the front of the boat straddeling the mast while you check them out in there bikini.

FYI: The Laser is not very friendly when going past second base. We ended up flipping over and I think I pulled a muscle in my leg trying to balance the boat.

But if you prefer, a dog is mans best friend supposedly. There should be a regatta where you have to sail with your dog. (back on topic)

FYI: The Laser is not very friendly when going past second base. We ended up flipping over and I think I pulled a muscle in my leg trying to balance the boat.

Let that be a lesson for all and thanks for sharing, James. Please let's not carry on with this part of the thread.

The morning after the last prize giving dinner, I got a cab back to the club to pick up my car – good sensible person that I am. (Don’t drink and drive, kids. You may hit a bump and spill some.)

I had just started the engine and revved it a bit when I heard a squeal. I thought it was Nig, the commodore’s dog (he named it after the dog in “Dam Busters”.)

Last thing I needed was to kill his dog. Things had gotten a little wild the night before, but the bar was well patronized and I doubted anyone would remember anything clear enough for reprisals.

Anyway, I opened the door and stuck my head under the running board and what should I find?

A 4.7 owner. Shivering and hung over.

Always check your vehicle for 4.7 owners before leaving the carpark. They wedge themselves into the most unlikely of places and are not easily repaired if damaged.

I made it to second base on a my very first Laser many, many, many moons ago. The boat capsized, she dumped me. The whole thing was a little traumatic. I decided to take my dog sailing next time. It was a dachshound. Good sized dog for Laser sailing. Kinda looked like a seal perched on the deck. Her name was Pepper, (the dog) and my boat was red. Muy caliente!

it sounds like fun. is the baseball kind a like water polo? my dog likes to swim. i can't get her to stay on my bote. how do you do that? i just learned to sail today.

it sounds like fun. is the baseball kind a like water polo? my dog likes to swim. i can't get her to stay on my bote. how do you do that? i just learned to sail today.

It most certainly is! Though the balls are smaller than water polo.

What sailing school did you attend? What kind of bote do you sail? Was there enough wind up?

I took my dachshund sailing for the first time about 7 years ago. She had never seen big water before. I could tell she was a bit confused by the way she paced in the boat looking over the side at the water. Finally after a little hesitation she jumped in. Well she disappeared under the boat. The water clarity was and still is a bit questionable. It took a while for her to come up; I thought I had lost her for a minute. She popped up on the other side scared and ready to get back in the boat with me. Needless to say she never jumped in again.

I'm feeling the urge to move this to open discussion....but I guess I'll let it stand... but I think the world laser should be a requirement in every post...haha.

Cheers!

I think the world laser should be a requirement in every post
The world laser was designed and built around the same time as the M Rig was scrapped. A pre-radial Radial, if you will.

Not many still exist today, only five were ever made.

They suffered performance problems as the dog houses built over the cockpit reduced the possible sail area and the full length berths invited "lazy" skippers to stay in the cabin rather than hike out.

The world laser was designed and built around the same time as the M Rig was scrapped. A pre-radial Radial, if you will.

Man, when I saw that mispelling of the world "world" by Bradley, I knew someone would pounce on it, just like my dog. But back to Lasers.

Laser number 101 the first production Laser finally left my yard last weekend. megan took it to her new house on the Pedernales river leg of lake travis.
Megan is the person who manages WP.org. She originally set up our pay your dues on line website in 2002 and in exchange I fixed up her Laser so it can sail again.

If I got to second base with Megan her hubby and my wife would each kill me at least twice.

What ever happened to the "Do it on a Laser" bumper stickers?

What ever happened to the "Do it on a Laser" bumper stickers?[/QUOTE]

My dog ate mine.

My dog's too old to go sailing. I sailed my laser with my three year old daughter. She said "whee!" when a 6mph puff moved the boat. (In contrast to Shoreline Lake, which gets lots of wind, Lake Vasona hardly ever gets any.) After 10 minutes, she was done and ready to get off. The ride lasted at least twice as long as a kiddie carnival ride.

I introduced a new guy to laser racing last night. He's now vowed to sell his Banshee, buy a Laser, and start coming out for the Wednsday nights at Shoreline.

Starts at Shoreline Lake are weird. In contrast to the line luffing battle you expect in a dinghy start, you get 10-12 little-keelboat-like lasers all manuevering and jostling about, half speed or better, all trying to time the line and hit it with speed. Laser-Vanderbilt-Start is a funny word.

Nice idea gouv, to create this thread.
If I have more time than now, I have to have a look at our old photo albums. Since over 50 years, the family-dogs (not only the human ones ... |O| ) followed us, in our family, if we decided to sail, already since we had sailable folding canoes.

By the way: Steve Cockerill, the UK Laser professional, already has an ebay-store for sailing clothes for dogs at the UK. Gouv, perhaps you make an exclusive-franchise-contract with him, to officially offer his "builder supplied"-products for (Laser-)sailing dogs at NA - I guess, perhaps you get real rich 2nd time by selling those goods ;) ...

http://stores.ebay.de/roostersailingltd/Rooster-Dogs.html

Cheers...
LooserLu

Do Kitties have more fun chasing yarn telltales or telltales made from old cassette tape?

yarn, its easier to grip

and the cassette ones look stupid, and a waste of perfectly good music!

The trouble with using your old man's cassette tape for tell tails is that in a strong enough breeze you can hear the music again as it passes over the telltail.

Nothing more infuriating than beating to windward to the voice of Nana Mouskori

This will make you hike harder just to get away from it:

http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=31510

It most certainly is! Though the balls are smaller than water polo.

What sailing school did you attend? What kind of bote do you sail? Was there enough wind up?

my daddy is teaching me to sail. i dont know what kind of bote it is. its for 2 people. i know how to spell boat. i think its a stoopid way to spell and I like bote better. i can talk better than this. i have to pick words i can spell. it was'nt very windy. daddy did'nt want to scare me.

For the first time in the last five years I have fewer than 10 Lasers in my yard.

When writing how many Lasers are still here should I include the "ought" digit?

For the first time in the last five years I have fewer than 10 Lasers in my yard.

When writing how many Lasers are still here should I include the "ought" digit?

Well that would be quaint. (I know you want to know this--it's spelled aught.)

Back