Need trailer or option for moving Minifish

Rollin

Hey I just got a great deal on a white and blue minifish, with 2 sails(both orange). It is a little difficult to get in and out of our area we have on our lake, which is around 8 feet wide. However, the steps are treacherous with a boat in hand. There is a launch ramp that is a much safer option for when I am by myself, and do not know what kind of trailer to get. I would prefer aluminum, and maybe to be able to move a slightly larger boat in the future.

I am not definitely getting another boat anytime soon so a larger trailer is not necessary but I would love to know my options.

I got to sail yesterday all day for the first time in about 18 years, and it was amazing. Wind around 9 mph steadily with gusts around 12 or 13 mph. It was a perfect introduction until i realized i had forgotten how to get back to shore safely. That part was also fun :)

Go to the top of the page, click on the "magnify" icon, then type "dolly", click "this forum", and there will appear about 2,000 answers! ;)

For starters, what is the distance to the launch ramp from home?

A great deal on a Minifish in Connecticut? How did I miss that one?! I’ve only got three and I like even numbers.
Keep an eye on craigslist. Enter ‘boat trailer’ as a saved search. Be careful if you’re not into adding to the fleet- sometimes you get a better deal on the trailer when there’s a junky old boat on it. If the trailer doesn’t have paperwork (often missing) DON’T BUY IT unless you don’t plan on registering it or you have name and address of last registered owner and a month to kill.
Connecticut makes it damn near impossible without previous registration.
If the launch is close to home a dolly is a nice option- the Mini is easily pulled by hand.
Car topping is also pretty easy if you have some help.
Are you on Candlewood Lake? I sailed there years ago in my first sailboat, a Blue Jay. It’s a beautiful lake!

Hey I just got a great deal on a white and blue minifish, with 2 sails(both orange). It is a little difficult to get in and out of our area we have on our lake, which is around 8 feet wide. However, the steps are treacherous with a boat in hand. There is a launch ramp that is a much safer option for when I am by myself, and do not know what kind of trailer to get. I would prefer aluminum, and maybe to be able to move a slightly larger boat in the future.

I am not definitely getting another boat anytime soon so a larger trailer is not necessary but I would love to know my options.

I got to sail yesterday all day for the first time in about 18 years, and it was amazing. Wind around 9 mph steadily with gusts around 12 or 13 mph. It was a perfect introduction until i realized i had forgotten how to get back to shore safely. That part was also fun :)

the Minifish is pretty light. It doesn’t weigh much more than a canoe. Pick up some roof racks from Amazon, pad them well (I use pool noodles sliced and secured with duct tape). If you get a rack with an extender bar, extend the bar, then lift the bow up to it (boat upside down). Then lift the stern and position and secure the boat. I would suggest using a rack with longer bars than most, so that it is easier to secure the mast and sail, but watch your head when you get in or out of your car!(Note: I have an old blanket that I use to protect my Minifish as I load it up. The fiberglass hull can get scratched up if you move it around on a hard surface).
You might want to consider using a utility trailer instead of a boat trailer. That will allow you to use it for other things, and the Minifish is so light that you don’t really need to launch it via trailer. There are several posts on how to adapt trailers. I just mount a could of 2x4s across the body (with padding) and load it just like on a car, without any back strain.
I personally use a kayak trailer. That way I can carry my Minifish and my Sailfish at the same time.
There are a lot of options out there. That’s one of the reasons the Minifish are so popular these days.

Go to the top of the page, click on the "magnify" icon, then type "dolly", click "this forum", and there will appear about 2,000 answers! ;)

Thank you, I was wondering but was so tired I figured I'd just post and say hi anyway. Thanks!

A great deal on a Minifish in Connecticut? How did I miss that one?! I’ve only got three and I like even numbers.
Keep an eye on craigslist. Enter ‘boat trailer’ as a saved search. Be careful if you’re not into adding to the fleet- sometimes you get a better deal on the trailer when there’s a junky old boat on it. If the trailer doesn’t have paperwork (often missing) DON’T BUY IT unless you don’t plan on registering it or you have name and address of last registered owner and a month to kill.
Connecticut makes it damn near impossible without previous registration.
If the launch is close to home a dolly is a nice option- the Mini is easily pulled by hand.
Car topping is also pretty easy if you have some help.
Are you on Candlewood Lake? I sailed there years ago in my first sailboat, a Blue Jay. It’s a beautiful lake!
Yes I got an incredible deal. Got the boat, 2 sails, and anchor for less than the price of a sail. I have no clue why they let it go for so cheap, but the million dollar house it was in front of may explain it.

Good call on the trailer, DMV sucks right now and I would have to wait up to 2 months to register it. Very good call. Is there anything like those U haul cargo racks that go on the rear trailer hitch that could work? I imagine not, but may as well ask.

I am on Lake Hayward, it is very small and does not allow gas boats. It takes about an hour to go from one end to the other, and is wonderful. Beavers and tons of other wildlife.

As far as putting it on the top of my car(toyota highlander), it is possible but would be difficult by myself. I have my girlfriend but I will be going out much more frequently alone than I will with her. So, I have to do it myself. I am 6'3" and in good shape but I have a bad elbow, which could prove problematic.

the Minifish is pretty light. It doesn’t weigh much more than a canoe. Pick up some roof racks from Amazon, pad them well (I use pool noodles sliced and secured with duct tape). If you get a rack with an extender bar, extend the bar, then lift the bow up to it (boat upside down). Then lift the stern and position and secure the boat. I would suggest using a rack with longer bars than most, so that it is easier to secure the mast and sail, but watch your head when you get in or out of your car!(Note: I have an old blanket that I use to protect my Minifish as I load it up. The fiberglass hull can get scratched up if you move it around on a hard surface).
You might want to consider using a utility trailer instead of a boat trailer. That will allow you to use it for other things, and the Minifish is so light that you don’t really need to launch it via trailer. There are several posts on how to adapt trailers. I just mount a could of 2x4s across the body (with padding) and load it just like on a car, without any back strain.
I personally use a kayak trailer. That way I can carry my Minifish and my Sailfish at the same time.
There are a lot of options out there. That’s one of the reasons the Minifish are so popular these days.
A utlity trailer like a box cargo trailer? What, with a roof rack or something similar? The guy I bought it from says he used a trailer rack but I have a bad elbow and it will be a struggle getting it up there!

Apologies, forgot to say how far the launch is. So, we actually live ac ross the street and down about 150 yards from the launch. I can't even call it a launch, it was a wall until this summer when I dug it out and built stone steps. The entire right of way is about 8 feet wide, the steps about 3 feet wide. However, it is very narrow and steep for one person carrying a boat. The actual boat launch is about 2 miles away.

What do you guys recommend for an anchor? I have a 12 pound danforth, and we had 10 mph winds last night. The boat drifted about 100 feet in 12 hours, and got dangerously close to the shore(rocks). I moved it back out and put several very large rocks on top of the anchor, but dont want to do that every time. Primary use is in a lake with a sandy bottom/some small and medium sized rocks.

Last edited:
What do you guys recommend for an anchor? I have a 12 pound danforth, and we had 10 mph winds last night. The boat drifted about 100 feet in 12 hours, and got dangerously close to the shore(rocks). I moved it back out and put several very large rocks on top of the anchor, but dont want to do that every time. Primary use is in a lake with a sandy bottom/some small and medium sized rocks.
This is what I use on both my sailboats and my canoes/kayaks. So far it has worked well on all of them.
Extreme Max 3006.6548 BoatTector... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014HEW4V2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

A utlity trailer like a box cargo trailer? What, with a roof rack or something similar? The guy I bought it from says he used a trailer rack but I have a bad elbow and it will be a struggle getting it up there!
Something like this (not the model I use, mine has a ramp and came from Home Depot. Just put a couple of 2x4s across the sides. You only have to life the boat a couple of feet or so.
DK2 MMT5X7 Mighty Multi-Utility Trailer Amazon.com: DK2 MMT5X7 Mighty Multi-Utility Trailer: Garden & Outdoor

really, that small? I have a 12 pound danforth that did next to nothing in 10 mph winds! is it the shape that will make the difference? I have to leave for days at a time so I need to know for a fact it will will hold. Thanks!
Sorry, I didn’t realize you meant to use it for mooring purposes. I don’t moor my boats anymore, but when I did I had a 40 pound concrete block with a large eyebolt cast into it. Dirt cheap! I tied a Clorox bottle with 50 feet of rope onto it as a float. It seemed to do a good job. I doubt any amount wind would move it! At my home town of Qunicy MA the guys with Lightnings and larger use old engine blocks, but I suspect that would be overkill for a sunfish (lol).

"Anchoring" is nearly a science! :oops:

A Danforth needs to be properly "dug in".
But when the wind changes direction, a Danforth will "work its way out".

If the bottom is sandy enough, the cheaper mushroom anchor is much better. Probably a 5-pounder would be enough. Yard sales are a good "source"~$5.

The most common error is too short an anchor line. (Not enough "scope"= depth times ~7).

"Anchoring" is nearly a science! :oops:

A Danforth needs to be properly "dug in".
But when the wind changes direction, a Danforth will "work its way out".

If the bottom is sandy enough, the cheaper mushroom anchor is much better. Probably a 5-pounder would be enough. Yard sales are a good "source"~$5.

The most common error is too short an anchor line. (Not enough "scope"= depth times ~7).
wow in 6 feet of water i would want a 42 foot line? That seems crazy!

If your lake is protected by trees, you can get by with less "scope"...that's for an anchor. A big cement (or granite) block can use much less anchor line...

If your lake is protected by trees, you can get by with less "scope"...that's for an anchor. A big cement (or granite) block can use much less anchor line...
It is a difficult lake. It is very small, and I dont own a boat with a motor o it is impossible to dig the anchor in properly. So, I bought a 35 pound mushroom and just plopped it on the bottom fo the lake. So far, 15 mph and it hasnt budged.

Back