need to ship SUnfish to Hawaii

Tirtza

Hi!
The Army is moving us to Hawaii from DC (I know, poor us), and I want to take the boat. Has anyone had experience shipping a Sunfish to Hawaii or some other overseas location? Any price estimates?

Since the boat and trailer are each under 14' separately, I had thought we could take the boat off and have them pack them both lying on their sides to save costs (packed properly of course). Would this damage the boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This boat has been from Miami to Mobile to DC over the past 40 years, and I'd like it to make it to Hawaii and back, too!

Thank you,
Amy

Amy,

As you know, the military doesn't pay to move boats and trailers. Cost to move a 40 yo Sunfish and trailer would probably out weigh the cost of getting a new one in Hawaii. You may want to store you current boat and get another over there (and sell it there) rather than shipping yours over. Storing you SF on its side is no problem, shipping may be. All new SF that I have seen are shipped in a crate flat. Good Luck.

If you have any relitives near you you can just drop it off there and keep it stored until your return.

I wonder if things have changed since my military days?

The Navy shipped—free—five or six bargain automobile transmissions I'd stored in a bedroom in Rota, Spain. They were considered "Household Items". :p

Buy a new trailer in Hawaii, but for now, just move the Sunfish into the living room and put a light bulb in the mast step! :D

United Airlines Sailing Club had many members in Calif. (Pilots) who would always take their Sunfish along to Hawaii. If you can get ahold of one of them maybe they could give you some good advice.

Back