Need some specs for the rudder pin.

shorefun

So I bought myself 3' of 316 stainless rod for $20. I support a bunch of fish at the yacht club. I own a 9" Southbend lathe. No reason I cant make my own. My problem is I just used up my last spare and all my fish are at the club. If someone happens to have the overall length of a pin I can figure out the rest from the broken pin. I am missing the area from the long end to the narrow section.

Thanks

I have done some drilling and tapping to replace the narrow ends when they have broken off. It drills fine, the tapping is harder with lots of oil. I dont need much in the line of threads as I screw in with thread locker and count on the tapered tap to jamb the screw at the bottom.

I was worried drilling cause I tried to drill some unknown stainless years ago. I stopped for and the bottom of the hole hardened up and I could not drill anymore. The 316 is not like that it seems so far with my experience.

A quick check says sharp HSS tools with slower speeds and cut hard. Of course I am horrible at making and sharpining tool bits, but how else can you learn but by trying.

So we will see how well I do with this. Heading over to the club later today so I have to remember to bring my dial calipers to do some measuring.

Thanks

I finished one today. Still need to test it out. It machines easy.

Attachments

• D4F471CE-8AC6-412A-B876-A011930B554A.jpeg
    D4F471CE-8AC6-412A-B876-A011930B554A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

Back