Need Some Advise and Direction

AlbertC

I recently purchased a '81 laser and there is what I would refer to as a "foot grip strip" on port and starboard deck egdes. The "foot grip strips" have deteriorated over time and are sticky. Can anyone recommend what to use to remove the smeared material from deck. I thought of acetate or mineral spirits but wasn't sure if it would damage the vinyl. Doesn't anyone have any suggestions what I may use?

Secondly, does anyone know of a website that has plans for a dolly for a laser?

Thank you for response.

Al Christoules

Vinyl?? I thought you wanted to take =it off??
anyway...use gloves and outdoor wind for ventilation and probably a paint spray rated mask as it is always hard to stay upwind...

try soaking the crappy old stuff with pretty much whatever chemicals you have in your stash. Stay away from methelene chloride as it is not only gonna eat teh gelcoat but it is one of teh very first carcinogens we discovered.

90% alcohol from your local pharamacy for $3 a quart sometimes does a great job and it is not horribly toxic unless you drink the stuff.
Paint thinner probably won't work but it is low danger and worth a try.

Xylol usually cuts contact cement on lettering and if you use a terry towell it can also be held there long enough to soak and soften the glues.

WD 40, Blaster brand lubricants, and liquid wrench penetrating oil often work.

Acetone evaporates more quickly but usually is slightly more aggressive.

Toluene is more dangerous and more aggressive.

Interlux 202 thinner will melt away many many glues but the damned stuff stinks forever and ever and ever and I hate even having it in my world.

sugggestion//???

try warming it up and using alcohol or soapy water befor you go the chemical route.

we use white spirit for taking pro grip and sticky residue off boats such as the sticky from sponsers vynal stickers but if you just wipe it over vynal it will do nothing to it but it takes sticky residue off really well as acitone and gelcoat are not best of friends and so are many other harsh chemicals.

Essential at my house, always something sticky to get off the car!
goof off.jpg

Thank you to all that have supplied solutions to removing the progrip off of my laser. Your advise is really appreciated.

Back