Need Seitech Dolly Dimensions for Capri 14.2

Karl R. Wurst

I bought a used Seitech dolly. It is a Configuration 5, which I know is the correct one for the Capri.

I put my Capri on it this past weekend, and the tops of the upright stanchions were too narrow and dimpling the hull. This could be from incorrect dimensions in a few places (refer to the diagram below from: http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/media/seitech/c5diagram.jpg):
  1. The Axle Tube (T1D) could be too narrow. (But I think this is the 60" version - which I think is the widest.)
  2. The Side Stanchions (T1E) could be too short. (Mine are 12", and I could replace them with 18")
  3. The Forward Centerline Tubes (T1B and T1C) could be too short and so the stanchions could be too far forward and on a wider point on the hull than they should be. (But moving the boat too far forward will affect the balance and make it harder to lift the handles.)
c5diagram.jpg

If you have a Seitech dolly, could you please post the dimensions for T1B, T1C, T1D, T1E, and S1 (the strap) so I can order replacement parts to make mine fit my Capri?

At this point, I'm probably planning to replace T1E with 18" ones, which will gain me about 4" additional width between the tops of the stanchions, which should be enough. (And will require a longer strap.)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Bumping this in the hopes that I can get a reply. I'd like to order parts soon to prepare for the season.

Thanks!
Seems this dolly is not as popular an item with owners as it is with clubs. Maybe check out a local dinghy/yacht club. If I may make a suggestion; A handy Welding Shop could easily solve this problem by putting a bend in the stanchions, this would give enough of a spread to clear the chines, this method would also keep the sling low which I believe is preferable.
Here is what it should look like - I just did the Port side to show the idea.:

c5diagram2.jpg

Thanks to Vince at AhoyCaptain and Chris at Dynamic Dollies, I now have the parts I need to make my Seitech Dolly fit my Capri. Both gentleman were extremely helpful.

For future reference for anyone else with a similar problem, the two parts I needed to replace were (see the diagram in the quote below):
  1. T1D - Axle Tube - needed to be the 68" axle (Dynamic Dollies part #43568)
  2. S1 - Sling - needed to be the 76" sling (Dynamic Dollies part #60076)
Also, according to Chris, the combined length of T1B and T1C should be 96-100". Mine are longer, and I'm going to cut them down. Having them be too long moves the balance point of the boat forward which puts more weight on the handles, and makes it harder to lift and move.

I bought a used Seitech dolly. It is a Configuration 5, which I know is the correct one for the Capri.

I put my Capri on it this past weekend, and the tops of the upright stanchions were too narrow and dimpling the hull. This could be from incorrect dimensions in a few places (refer to the diagram below from: http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/media/seitech/c5diagram.jpg):
  1. The Axle Tube (T1D) could be too narrow. (But I think this is the 60" version - which I think is the widest.)
  2. The Side Stanchions (T1E) could be too short. (Mine are 12", and I could replace them with 18")
  3. The Forward Centerline Tubes (T1B and T1C) could be too short and so the stanchions could be too far forward and on a wider point on the hull than they should be. (But moving the boat too far forward will affect the balance and make it harder to lift the handles.)
c5diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Back