Need rudder pin for c. 1968 Alcort Sailfish

Thread starter #1
Can anyone suggest a source for a new rudder pin? I'm not sure that's the right term for it, but it's the brass pin which you put through the top of the hardware plate on the back of the boat and the hardware on the upper back part of the rudder to hold it in place. The original one had a rotating piece at the end which you could turn 90 degrees to hold it in place, and a small chain by which it was attached to the boat. At present I am using a nut and bolt, but the real thing would be much preferable.

You can try AMF Boats http://www.geocities.com/amfboats/ he mainly deal in old parts, try contacting Herb Baker thru this forum or make your own from a 1/4" brass bolt or rod, 1/4" wide brass stock and 1/16" brass rod from the hobby shop, a drill and hack saw (or Dremel tool with larg cut off wheel). Cut the slot in the end of the rod first, make and install the toggle next and then use the bracket to locate the hole for the loop that holds the chain and still allows the toggle to work as it should. Cut the rod to length, install the loop and chain and secure to your SF. I takes me less than 20 minutes to make one with the edges polished smooth.

Or contact Alan (parts garage sale) in the for sale section, he has the pin you are looking for

I've got some stainless pins that I bought from McMaster Carr. They've got a pull ring at one end and a small ball bearing at the other end - work great for me. I'll sell you one for a few dollars if you'd like....

I used a rudder pin for a Sea Snark. The pin is aluminum and has a 90 degree bend at the top. It was a little long so I cut it, drill a hole in it and put a hitch pin in to retain it. I then drill a little hole at the top and put a cotter ring in and attached both using a tangle free stainless steel chain to the rudder pivot bolt. Cheap and effective. I get my Sea Snark parts at http://www.castlecraft.com/main.htm they stock all repair items for the Sea Snark.

Thread starter #5
jmgardner said:
I've got some stainless pins that I bought from McMaster Carr. They've got a pull ring at one end and a small ball bearing at the other end - work great for me. I'll sell you one for a few dollars if you'd like....
Thanks very much - I'd be glad to pay a few dollars for a stainless pin that will secure my rudder. How do you secure the end with the ball bearing?

SH
The pin is actually hollow with a spring loaded shaft inside. You push the shaft, the ball bearing becomes flush with the surface, insert the pin, release the shaft which pushes the ball bearing out so it protrudes above the surface, preventing the pin from removal. Besides McMaster Carr, or jmgardner, you may be able to find the pin at a farm supply store (they are used on tractors to hold/adjust various equipment. You need a 1/4" pin with a working shaft length of 2" (shoulder to bearing).