What's new

Need plate for hull number

wardie

Price $
State
OHIO
City
Canfield
Looking to purchase a Sunfish hull plate so I can register my boat in Ohio. No numbers visible on hull and no plate in cockpit.

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
Fortunately in CT a sailboat 14’ and under is exempt from registration. I am in the process of registering an old motorboat, pre HIN (hull identification number). In CT it’s through the DEP, but I know in Ohio it’s different. If you don’t find a plate you can get a HIN through the Ohio Division of Watercraft. Boat Registration 877-426-2837. In CT it is free, I believe it’s the same in Ohio.
Other option is to say (if ever questioned) that you use it for fewer than 60 days yearly and I think you’re exempt from registration?

wardie

Fortunately in CT a sailboat 14’ and under is exempt from registration. I am in the process of registering an old motorboat, pre HIN (hull identification number). In CT it’s through the DEP, but I know in Ohio it’s different. If you don’t find a plate you can get a HIN through the Ohio Division of Watercraft. Boat Registration 877-426-2837. In CT it is free, I believe it’s the same in Ohio.
Other option is to say (if ever questioned) that you use it for fewer than 60 days yearly and I think you’re exempt from registration?
under 14' does not require a title but any boat on Ohio water requires a registration.

I figured if someones Fish is trashed and they're not sailing it ever they might sell me the plate which has a hull number. These things fall off all the time.

Cactus Cowboy

There's always the "home-built" route... claim the boat was home-built, turn in a few receipts from the Depot, get an engraved plate from a key or trophy shop once the DMV gives you a number, and slap the registration sticker on the hull. Had to do that in Kalifornia, even though I already had a number... just no paperwork with the "barn find" boat. The receipts I turned in weren't even related to boat building, just some paint & hardware receipts from an entirely different project. Worked like a charm, though, and I got my sticker, which was all I ever wanted in the first place, just so I wouldn't get hassled on the water. :confused:

By doing this, I wound up with my own assigned hull number, nothing that would ever come up elsewhere in DMV computers. I bought an engraved aluminum plate with my new number and installed the plate directly over the existing HIN on the starboard quarter of the Minifish. Problem solved... bear in mind that I was merely trying to do the right thing when I first went to the DMV, but bureaucratic regulations in that f/u state are so ridiculous, there was literally no other way to get my sticker, PFFFFFFFT. No worries, I wound up with a sticker and it only cost me a few bucks... for a "home-built" Minifish, LOL. :rolleyes:

Edit: Those receipts don't HAVE to be Depot receipts, LOL, they can be from Ace Hardware, West Marine, or any other store that sells items which might be construed as "boat-building materials." All those clowns in Kalifornia wanted to see was a short stack of receipts to accompany the "home-built" claim, in fact they didn't even inspect the receipts, just glanced at the short stack and proceeded with other paperwork. Of course, you might get the "overly-zealous" DMV stooge during YOUR visit, so receipts for clothing, food, beer, etc., might not fly, LOL. Good luck to you if you go this route, it WILL get ya a sticker, LOL. ;)

HERE'S TO ALL BUREAUCRATS, WHAT WOULD OUR LIVES BE WITHOUT 'EM? EASIER, FOR STARTERS... CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited:

oregongirl

Looking to purchase a Sunfish hull plate so I can register my boat in Ohio. No numbers visible on hull and no plate in cockpit.
I am going through the same process. I found my serial number on the metal piece that holds the rudder I think it's called the grudgeon bracket. Here is a picture of mine upside down :)

Attachments

Alan S. Glos

I sell aluminum Sunfish/Sailfish serial number plates for $10 + $2 anywhere shipping. If you know the approx, age of your hull, I can probably find a plate for that year or close to it. E-mail me at : aglos@colgate.edu if you want one. Include your mailing address and desired year.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Weston

I sell aluminum Sunfish/Sailfish serial number plates for $10 + $2 anywhere shipping. If you know the approx, age of your hull, I can probably find a plate for that year or close to it. E-mail me at : aglos@colgate.edu if you want one. Include your mailing address and desired year.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Wow, Alan. You really do have just about any part someone might need!