Need ideas for races and awards

Aurelie

Seeking ideas for sunfish races and awards. Preferably off-the-wall funny ones appropriate for sailors 50 to 80 years old.
Thanks so much.
Aurelie

You can do some point to point races or multible marks or do a poker run type race and have each boat pick up a card at given points to make up a poker hand. You can also do LeMans starts from the beach. Make them sail the boat backwards for a short distance in the race and so on.
Prizes can be anything from driftwood pieces to dust pans (Sunfish paddles)
Wine, beer, Denture adhesive, Depends. That is for starters

Wine, beer, Denture adhesive, Depends. That is for starters

Don't forget ibuprofen (Advil etc) and/or acetaminophen (Tylenol etc.) for my age class.

PS: An unlimited (?) supply of Dark and Stormys won't hurt either...

What is a LeMans start?

LeMans start is named after the LeMans car race. At the start the drivers have to run to there cars jump in start them and go.

I like that idea for a SF race, maybe you have to run to the boat and rig it before you push off the beach and go. It would be a fun one to watch that's for sure!

Stephen, what a great handbook on just the start of a race. I have not raced other than recreational. The competition (class) level is much more precise via the handbook rules. This presentation will make a great read and study guide for young sailors (and one 42 year old one). May I use a copy of it for teaching the "small craft" merit badge with a girl scout troop here in my area? Thanks.

ssmeulders,
Acknowledgements shall be noted. Thank you for posting and sharing your work ( and the others too).

Re: Need ideas for races and awards (Le Mans Start)

Just as an aside, no one in the auto racing worlds uses a Le Mans start any more. This style is where the drivers stand on the side of the track opposite their cars, ran to their cars after a signal sounds, jump into the car and take off. This style abandoned due to the fact that drivers never bothered to buckle in :eek:, hit drivers not in their cars yet and there was general mayhem as cars pulled out.

Another aside, this shows why sailors are smarter that auto racers, we dont even bother to install the seat belts...

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I'd share how we actually spiced up our race on 10/21. We called it The Great Pumpkin Regatta and had 2 relays with teams. Since we have 8 boats, we had 4 teams. On the first race, the racers had to pass a small pumpkin to their waiting partner who then had to race the course. On the second relay, the pairs split and half went one way around the course with their partners racing in the opposite direction. At mid point (or wherever they met,), each partner had to pass their pumpkin. Of course, some of the pumpkins missed and went into the bay so that created confusion and laughs picking up the bobbing pumpkin. Winners were awarded specialty beers with Halloween themed labels. This Sunday's race is themed "Fall Back and Tack" in honor of the time change and we may race backwards. Thanks again. Would love any and all ideas to make races fresh and fun.

Back