Need Ideas for a Team Trailer

WGNBsailing

My University sailing team currently has six fully functioning lasers however due to neglect our two trailers have fallen into disrepair over time. Currently we are in possession of a 4 laser trailer and a 2 laser trailer but we are currently searching for replacement options. Is is possible to get a trailer that can hold all six lasers at once (along with associated booms and masts) or are there no options but to purchase two separate trailers.

Thank you for any feedback

my yatch club has a trailer with room for 6 and i know one that has room for 13 (stupid) so it is deffinetly possible, i just dont know where to get one

If your school has a engineering department go talk to the dean of Mechanical Engineering. There are probobly some of the mechanical guys that could design the trailer for you. Then see if there is a local fab shop that could build it for you. Start with a 5x7 utility trailer that can be bought anywhere and build from there. It would not be that difficult. The Laser is a fairly light boat.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L

Check w/ Seitech ( http://www.seitech.com/trailer_racks.aspx )- I have towed with their stackable rack that holds 5 Lasers (3 stacked, one on each side of the stack) and I believe they have one with a 4 high stack, but even with 3 stacked you need to be aware of low overpasses.

Your other option is to go the custom route as suggested above - I have seen some nice custom built units with a long (20'-30') but lightweight frame, single and dual axle setups that can hold a coach boat as well as 6-12 hulls

All the help is much appreciated.

Our tow vehicles are usually large SUV's which can handle fairly high tow capacities, so that will probably not be an issue.

A custom built trailer could be a great idea, maybe there are some designs out there already.

If you are looking for ideas on the custom built route, both Andy @ TackleShack and Kurt @ Sailfit have custom trailers that perhaps they can take a pic of or give you some basic info..

The guys from Calgary, Alberta brought one down that had 4 hulls on racks and 2 hanging off each side, then an equipment box at the bottom. They pulled it with a Tahoe.

Check to see if Eric Tulk (Mullet Time! here on TLF) or Scott Meers at the Calgary yacht Club can send you a photo.

Hi,
I can't remember where (TLF-Picture??) or when, but I have seen a Road-trailer for 6 Lasers somehwere. It probably was built in the USA or in Canada. I added a rough sketch below of the principle of that trailer (sorry I am not a painter...).
Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• 6x Laser Roadtrailer.JPG
    6x Laser Roadtrailer.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 61

Back