Need help with serial number...

You’re right, that drain is toast! You can find an original replacement on eBay or post in the wanted section on this forum. Do save those pins, though, often the replacements don’t have them.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Fill the mast tube with water and see how far it drains. Of course, if the problem is at the bottom, it will drain all the way :eek:

Nice pictures BTW; it looks like the tube needs lots of TLC

Thread starter #23
Fill the mast tube with water and see how far it drains. Of course, if the problem is at the bottom, it will drain all the way :eek:

Nice pictures BTW; it looks like the tube needs lots of TLC
I noticed yesterday as I was flushing out the the mast step that the water was not overflowing on to the deck as I would have expected (because it was going into the hull :(), but when I looked down in the mast step later there was still a couple inches of water in the bottom (probably good news for me). Hopefully I can epoxy the damaged areas in the top 3/4 of the tube and make it watertight. As far as replacing the drain is concerned, is there a problem with this one from sunfishdirect.com for $46.00? Seems like a good option. Sunfish, Metal Vent Drain Assembly, 91258

signal charlie

Staff member
That's a good part for the drain plug.

We just repaired our mast tube with thickened epoxy, applied it with a paint stick. The two brands we use are TotalBoat THIXO or Pettit FLEXPOXY and they are dispensed with a caulk gun. That type of repair has worked on several boats.

Nice choice to have the sail repaired, those are cut from nice fabric. Your 1979 boat should weigh 139 pounds, +5 is not uncommon and not to worry about.

Thread starter #25

We just repaired our mast tube with thickened epoxy, applied it with a paint stick. The two brands we use are TotalBoat THIXO or Pettit FLEXPOXY and they are dispensed with a caulk gun. That type of repair has worked on several boats.

Nice choice to have the sail repaired, those are cut from nice fabric. Your 1979 boat should weigh 139 pounds, +5 is not uncommon and not to worry about.
I just ordered the new drain and a new bow handle. The boat is going to have plenty of time to dry out now because realistically it will be quite some time before I get it in the water. I have limited time on the weekends during the summer when I am at the river and have free time to spend on a project like this. Usually there is boating (I have a 21’ Stingray powerboat too), fishing, guests, farmers market with the wife, etc. I will probably take it one step at a time and maybe I can get it on the water in the late summer/early fall. It has been sitting under a deck for 30 years, another few months isn’t going to hurt, but I am excited to get her back in shape.

Thread starter #26
That is a 79. The sail looks almost unused. I wouldn’t get a new one. That grommet may be fine too. Boat looks fantastic!

Since you have already ordered a new sail, if the new one isn’t an authentic Sunfish sail, you’ll probably be able to sell this sail for more than you paid for the new one.
Btw, this is the extra sail I bought. It is a 60th Anniversary North Sail. Thought it was pretty cool, slightly used for $235 + shipping. Condition appears to be excellent.
29C8494D-98C2-4A00-9650-9E75697D1137.jpeg

Thread starter #27

When you repaired your mast step, did you try to pick at the remaining material to see if it would come loose or did you just patch the areas where it was obviously missing? Did you spread a thin coat all the way around the inside? Thx.