Need help in I.D.-ing a mast - Super Sunfish, Force 5 etc?

Alan S. Glos

I just acquired two sections (upper and middle) of a round three piece mast, photos attached. I am guessing it is probably a Super Sunfish or maybe a Minifish 2 mast minus the bottom section. Possibly as Force 5.

The top section measures 5'2" lenfth overall and 1 3/4" outside diameter.

The longer middle section measures 7' 10" length overall and 2 1/4" outside diameter.

Assembled top and middle measure 12' 3" length overall.

Excellent condition. No kinks, bends or dings. Black anodized finish with plastic sleeve fittings.

What have I got? If there are any Super Sunfish or Minifish 2 or Force 5 readers out there who could measure their upper and middle sections and let me know, I would be most appreciative. These sections will be for sale when I confirm what I have. Thanks!

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1140895.JPG
    L1140895.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • L1140896.JPG
    L1140896.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • L1140897.JPG
    L1140897.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • L1140899.JPG
    L1140899.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • L1140898.JPG
    L1140898.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
I have a Force 5 mast and will send you the measurements of each piece when I get home from work. Looks like the upper two pieces of a F5 mast.

While we are investigating, what mast do I have? No length, as I'm away from its location, but as I recall, it was too short by Sunfish measure(s).

Photos 3222017 43628 AM.bmp.jpg

Speaking of which, a month or so ago you had another similar set of three mystery spars listed on Craig's List. Did those sell, or did the listing just expire?

bhm,

Wrong guy. I did not have any spars for sale on CraigsList.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Sorry, my mistake. CL ads don't name names; I just figured that there can't be two different people in Cazenovia both selling random sailboat spars. Evidently I was wrong!

I just acquired two sections (upper and middle) of a round three piece mast, photos attached. I am guessing it is probably a Super Sunfish or maybe a Minifish 2 mast minus the bottom section. Possibly as Force 5.

The top section measures 5'2" lenfth overall and 1 3/4" outside diameter.

The longer middle section measures 7' 10" length overall and 2 1/4" outside diameter.

Assembled top and middle measure 12' 3" length overall.

Excellent condition. No kinks, bends or dings. Black anodized finish with plastic sleeve fittings.

What have I got? If there are any Super Sunfish or Minifish 2 or Force 5 readers out there who could measure their upper and middle sections and let me know, I would be most appreciative. These sections will be for sale when I confirm what I have. Thanks!

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Is there a price on the pair now, just as DIY parts of unknown origin?

bhm,

I would like to find out for sure what I have before I sell them so as not to disappoint a buyer. I should know soon.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

bhm,

I was able to confirm that these are Force 5 upper and middle mast sections. New from the Force 5 builder, Weeks Boat Yard, they cost $92 and $135, $227 total. What would offer for both? If you are in Ithaca, NY I might even deliver them as I visit my son there regularly. I also know where to locate a matching bottom section. You can e-mail me directly at: [email protected].

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Sold! Or perhaps I should say, "Bought!" Thanks Alan, for your very useful advice regarding how to adapt this for my Minifish.

Back