Need help dating old sunfish

Janina

Aquired this sunfish, can't figure out the age. Read the pages on yahoo group but some things just don't add up. I know it's in the 60's but want more specific info.
Has no metal plate with serial number and of course nothing on the transom.
What do you guys thinkg based on the pictures?

Attachments

• Sunfish 1.jpg
    Sunfish 1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 54
  • sunfish 2.jpg
    sunfish 2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 44
I don't know if you can get an exact year without the metal plate but that AMF Alcort sticker in the cockpit may narrow it down if someone had a similar boat or a history of the sticker type.

Fred

Need help dating old sunfish
Have you tried e-harmony.com ? :rolleyes:

What's not adding up that you see? Looking at the timeline of changes looks like the AMF label puts it at 1969 or later, the bronze rudder mount puts it before 1972. Didn't anyone at Sunfish Sailors reply to your question?

I haven't tried there yet. Do you think the metal plate is simply missing as in it fell off? I thought they were riveted on or something. I see why you say it has to be no later than '69 because that's when AMF bought Alcort. So that's pretty good in narrowing it down. Can't be younger than 1971 because that's when they added the rear cubby. CLose enough for me. :) Thanks

I had a 1969 'fish with its plate. The plate was not riveted. Looked like it was glued on.
I do not remember having that style sticker in the cockpit. I think my sticker was different, more modern looking. Yours can still be a '69 maybe built earlier in the year than mine.

BTW, I assume you know of the old style rudder pop-out problem when its stressed. I sailed with one for many years on flat water but when I was in waves and good wind it was popping!!

Fred

Back