Need help - 1971 Sunfish how to attach the sail

Jackinthelake

I just bought a 1971 sunfish. The person selling it knew nothing about the boat, so couldn’t help answer any questions.

I’ve watched dozens of videos on how to rig a sunfish, but they always seem to show the sail as already attached to the halyard. Mine isn’t, and I can’t figure out how to attach the sail. Any advice or links to videos? I’ve been a windsurfer. It’s been a life’s dream to take up sailing but I have a lot to learn. Thx!

Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    753.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 70
Lee Montes has some great videos on youtube.

We usually use tape so the knot doent slip. Haylard lower on the boom raises the rig, higher on the boom lowers it. Day sailing is better with it up, racers keep the boom lower

Lee Montes has some great videos on youtube.

We usually use tape so the knot doent slip. Haylard lower on the boom raises the rig, higher on the boom lowers it. Day sailing is better with it up, racers keep the boom lower
An attachment that allows adjustments, yet holds tight, is the "thrice-through hitch".

Make a bowline knot about 6 inches in diameter, slip it between the sail and upper spar, counting seven rings from the top. Run the other end through the bowline three times. It will pull itself tight as the sail is raised.

If you want to adjust the sail's height to your liking, this hitch will slide easily on the spar. (Yet tighten where you want it, and will stay there indefinitely). It also eliminates contact--and wear--between the spar and the mast.

:cool:

Picture here of blue halyard and "thrice-through" hitch:

Picture here of blue halyard and "thrice-through" hitch:

Looks close to and end of line prusik.

The good news about the "geezer" rig is that you don't have to duck so much when you tack or jybe. The bad news is that the boat is little more tippy
in heavy wind as the rig is higher and has more leverage to tip the boat. For day sailing, look for a middle ground, high enough to avoid banging your head but not so high that you are not struggling to keep the boat flat.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back