need advice on competitive boat

wannabe

I would like to buy a laser and start racing - I am an experienced keel boat racer, but have problems finding crew. What should I look for in buying a used laser. Certain hulls better than others? Hull #'s to look out for? I would prefer to buy a boat that is 90 - 100% ready to race. Any insite much appreciated.

I was hoping to get a boat, trailer and dolly for around $2500.00 American. I suspect a new one with all the go fast stuff added would be quite a bit more, but I have not priced them out.

I am in central Texas if anyone knows of a boat for sale.

Martin

wannabe said:
I am in central Texas if anyone knows of a boat for sale. Martin

You won't have a problem.
I live in the PNW and it took me over a year to find a decent ride.
Seemed like everything for sale was in the east, S.E., or TEXAS!

The three main concerns when buying a Laser are: How dry is the hull, how stiff is the hull, and what sort of condition the sail is in.
To test the stiffness go to the bow section of the hull, and push your hand against the fibreglass. If it is very easy to flex the fibreglass then the condition of the hull isn't all that great. I guess the only way to find out the dryness of the hull is by asking the owner if it leaks at all, you'll have to rely on their word, unless they offer you a test sail. Checking the condition of the sail is very easy, all sailors know what a good sail looks and feels like.

Just a couple of other things are; check that the mast sections don't have any dodgey repairs where they might have snapped before (I snapped one of my top sections once, to find that the past owner had snapped it also and simply fixed it by jamming a piece of wood down the center of the mast). Everything else is just basic common sence when inspecting a boat.

Martin, look at www.rcyc.org on the bulletin board. There's a 98' Laser listed there in the DFW area for $2,295.00 w/trailer and all the new Pro upgrades. Even an unused sail. Sounds like an excellent deal. Good luck.

I hate the fact all the "acronyme" of yatch club are the same.... by RCYC I was shure it was Royal Canadian Yatch Club... whatever I'm off subject

Back