Need Advice - Mast Step Failed

Hello all. So my mast step on my 1978 hull failed last week. I was trying to sell this boat anyway. I am glad it happened to me and not a new owner. So now I don't know what to do...

Do I sell it cheap to someone that wants to put the time, effort & money into fixing it up?

Do I strip off the parts & sell them and then just scrap the hull?

I know it is gonna cost over $300 to buy the repair kit. Realistically, what do you think I can get for the boat?

It has everything else needed to go sailing. Decent sail (w/o numbers), brand new Harken hiking strap, brand new Slo Sails deck cover, brand new Storm blade bag, brand new Kingfisher wind indicator. I have the full rig, mast, daggerboard & rudder. Aluminum tiller with homemade graphite extension. Does not have the upgraded rigging. Does have an autobailer. Also, an old trailer.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!

I'm going to guess a boat that age is worth about $1000 to start with. Even with the mast step properly repaired, it would be worth less. Let's say $800. Spending $300 in materials, you would net $500. That doesn't include your time.

I would think you could sell it as is for $250-$300. I think it would be ideal for a teenager on a budget, who could spend the time fixing it and may want to learn some repair skills.

Looking at the list of stuff you have, you might be able to sell stuff like the cover separately to net a little more money.

Or (I just thought of this) do I donate the boat to my club and get a tax credit?

To get a tax credit (USA) the club/organization needs to have the proper tax status. Some clubs have set up foundations for such a purpose, but many don't.

I'm going to guess a boat that age is worth about $1000 to start with. Even with the mast step properly repaired, it would be worth less. Let's say $800. Spending $300 in materials, you would net $500. That doesn't include your time.

I would think you could sell it as is for $250-$300. I think it would be ideal for a teenager on a budget, who could spend the time fixing it and may want to learn some repair skills.

Looking at the list of stuff you have, you might be able to sell stuff like the cover separately to net a little more money.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I really have no desire to put the time, effort & money into fixing it. I might just post it for $300 as is and see if I get any interest. I might sell the cover and blade bag separate, or include them in the deal if I could get $400.

Fixing it to keep it and sail it is one thing, fixing it to sell it sounds like a waste of blood sweat and tears.

I'd just put the whole shebang on craigslist and unload it for whatever someone is willing to pay to get rid of it - but then again these days I value my time much more than my money... you may be younger ;)

If you decide to sell the boat for parts I would be interested in hearing from you. I recently bought a 1981 Laser 2 and need some replacement parts. I am in need of the Super Chute 90 Bailer which is completely missing on this boat and I'd like to have some back up parts for the boat as well. Thanks

Back