Nautos parts

oztayls

I've seen some Nautos parts popping up on Laser web stores saying they are class legal as they are builder supplied. Is this correct?

An example is the Cunningham/Outhaul deck cleat.

This what they say themselves:

"These parts are made to class specifications but are not builder supplied so are no to be used for ILCA events. The only difference is the price!

Laser� is the registered trademark of Vanguard Sailboats. Nautos-usa is not an authorized dealer or distributor of Laser� Sailboats, parts or accessories, or a licensee of Vanguard Sailboats. Vanguard Sailboats neither approves nor authorizes products sold by Nautos-usa, Which have not been approved by the Laser� class"

http://www.nautos-usa.com/catalogue.php?category=LASER PARTS & SMALL BOATS&subcategory=SMALL BOATS PARTS

The cunningham and outhaul cleats aren't required to be builder supplied.

It does look like quite a mess.

What is sure is that you can have any cleats that fit the holes on a builder supplied cleat base. The front fairleads are part of the base, the rear/top fairleads are part of the cleats.

Intensity is saying the Nautos cleat base is legal. They're also saying other Nautos parts, such as the bailer, aren't. A few years ago, an official dealer sold me a Nautos bailer as the real thing.

If PSA is selling a Nautos gooseneck, I suppose that makes it legal by definition. Does that legalise any other parts from the same manufacturer? Can a builder freely decide who makes their "builder supplied" fittings? Is everything sold by an official dealer legal?

Alan...?

Last edited:
It does look like quite a mess.

What is sure is that you can have any cleats that fit the holes on a builder supplied cleat base. The front fairleads are part of the base, the rear/top fairleads are part of the cleats.

Intensity is saying the Nautos cleat base is legal. They're also saying other Nautos parts, such as the bailer, aren't. A few years ago, an official dealer sold me a Nautos bailer as the real thing.

If PSA is selling a Nautos gooseneck, I suppose that makes it legal by definition. Does that legalise any other parts from the same manufacturer? Can a builder freely decide who makes their "builder supplied" fittings? Is everything sold by an official dealer legal?

Alan...?

It certainly is confusing. While there are no restrictions on the cleats or the fairleads attached to the cleat base, I very much doubt that that the cleat base supplied by Intensity is legal as it has no branding on it. AlanD...?

Back