Nautical America - Kitty Hawk Trailers stopping production

WestCoast

One of the top guys in the industry Ken from Nautical America - announced today that he is ceasing production of the Kitty Hawk trailers that have made him famous.

He has been having some health concerns and needs to focus on getting better.

We're all going to miss Ken and his excellent product very much.
I hope in the next few years he gets well and is back in production... but he didn't seem so sure about it himself.

Your favorite vendors likely have some stock of his left in inventory, but if you want a Kitty Hawk trailer, get one fast as they aren't being made any longer :(

Get well Ken, hope you get to spend more time sailing now while you're taking it easy.

Wow. I guess we're all human in the end. Never met Ken, but I can imagine how it feels - I know my dad has pretty much given up his film making and retired to focus on his health.

Because his design is so well suited for its job (moving Laser's around the country) and for the good of Laser sailing, I wonder if Ken would be willing to license/sell his designs and tooling to another sailboat trailer manufacturer, such as Triad?

Ken has to be one of the greatest guys I have ever met on the Laser circuit, and he makes a great product. He's been retired from his regular job for 20 years, and I know Kitty Hawk kept him very, very busy. I hope he gets a chance to relax some now.

scars- Ken doesn't do e-mail :)

I did ask him about having someone else pick up production and he said no, not at this time. I think his long term goal is in a year or two to start back up again.

I think we all hope he can, it would be sad to see a legend fade away!

scars- Ken doesn't do e-mail :)

No, no he doesn't.

I first bought my Kitty Hawk several years before I moved to NC and met Ken in person. I could tell from the assembly instructions that it was designed by an old-school engineer, all slide rules and T-squares.

thanks for all the contact info, I just had a nice conversation with Ken. He is sharp he remembered the name (we have a couple trailers and just got a new one). I will look into the feasibility of this venture and keep you all posted, he is all for it.

Matt

So, thanks for the heads-up WestCoast.

I already had one of the 2009 World's charter boats on order from Svendsens's in Alameda. As a result of your msg, I was able to drive down there today on my lunch break and pick up one of the last available Kitty Hawk trailers for it. If I'd waited 'till the boat got here, probably would have been too late.

scars- cool, that would be great if Ken's products were still being kicked out!

bj - happy to help, figured people would want to know!

Yes it would be cool. I have a facility and work force that could do this in down time between projects I just have to figure out material and labor costs to see if I can make them affordable.

I saw a post yesterday on here stating that website but it appears to have been removed, not sure why. that is great news, I will have a model out by spring, a knock off as Ken graciously allowed.

I saw a post yesterday on here stating that website but it appears to have been removed, not sure why.

A thread that is only a website link will be deleted.

A thread that is solely an attempt at free advertising for a product will be deleted.

This is TLF policy.

I got my new copy of Laser Sailor yesterday, and there's a "Kitty Hawk" ad in it, with a different builder named.

Back