Name that boat...

FishingAgain

Ready to come-about
Right off, I will acknowledge I'm not posting about my Sunfish... but am hoping for some help from the forum to identify what type of board-boat, scow or 'other' sailboat this is. I've attached a picture of it hanging on a wall in a shed.

IMG_4473.jpg Whatever it is, it appears to be made from a kit, but I can't confirm. The mast and spars are made of wood and the sail is quite possibly canvass. It has a deck-top stepped mast with stays, no cockpit, just the hand rails. It has a tiller/rudder off the stern and has a pulley traveller for the boom. It has two spars so could be a lateen rig, but without having rigged it yet, I'm not sure.

I've scoured the internet and found nothing so far... the closest I've come to finding another boat anywhere like it is the Snark or Sea Skimmer or a Skimmer Moth.

Once I get my Fish in the water this season I plan to get this one rigged and see how/if she'll sail.

Thanks!

Snarks/Skimmers are made of plastic covered foam and are molded. Not your boat, but entertaining little critters.

Flat... bow shape is flat... it's a blurry picture but gives the idea. I only had a couple of minutes last fall to snap just a few pictures. Later this spring I'll be able to take some proper pictures, hopefully rigged up.

This picture show the mast step (and an old fire hose that appears to be part of the sling holding the boat to the wall of the shed.
IMG_4472.jpg

There were a ton of plans and scow kits around in the 40's and 50's

Once you have it rigged and get some better pictures we might have a chance.

My guess is a plan built from that era

"...the sail is quite possibly canvas..."

I've been sailing for many years, and the only boat I've sailed with canvas sails was an ancient 17' Windabout (which needed a lot of wind to move).

Canvas would be a BIG clue for putting a year with this boat.

Well... there are still boat plans (free on the net) that say to make your sail from a canvas tarp.

And you can do that for most boats this size (though its heavier and not as good as modern sailcloth... it moves the boat)

So that might not be a good way to date it.

Back