Name for my new Laser?!!

Alex192527

Hi All - just bought a spanking new Laser which is awesome, but I am struggling to name her.. Do you name your boats, or just stick a club sticker on the back and treat her as a tool instead of a friend? Comments welcome..

I've done quite a lot of surfing over the years and when you become in tune with your surfboard, it can be like it is part of you.. and although a beginner to Sailing, I am starting to feel the same with my dinghy.. or maybe I'm just talking rubbish..!

Hi All - just bought a spanking new Laser which is awesome, but I am struggling to name her.. Do you name your boats, or just stick a club sticker on the back and treat her as a tool instead of a friend? Comments welcome..
Alex,

Don't struggle to name your boat, let her name herself. Or just let the name come to you. The name for my boat came about a month after I bought her. I call her Darkling.

Mary

The colour of mine (1981 lurid lime green!) sort of had to influence the name, as did the fact that being fairly new to dinghy sailing I'm going to have a few Muppet Moments. Now, what green muppets do I know?

:)

Al.

I don't name my boats unless I know I'm going to keep it for a long time, and I've had my 3rd Sabot for 10 years and it still doesn't have a name! To me a Laser is just a piece of equipment, and it's no different than the 200000 others out there.

Alex, I to surfed for years on and off and we never named our boards, it did become
a part of me sweet.

naming your laser? never thought about that, but i guess you can, competitive laser sailing is wierd. You have to take care of your boat but you also need to push it to the limit. Like cranking on so much vang even though you know your top might break. Also instead of trying to name it you should practice and wait for something really funny to happen and then name it after that. Good luck

I try to keep a common theme when naming my boats. My last boat was named "Spanish Inquisition", as in "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" (and unfortunately nobody ever did). I've decided to name my new boat "The Ministry of Funny Tacks".

Dumb question, but for anyone who has actually put the name on your Laser, where do you do it, on the transom or sides? And for letters, do you use regular hardware store stick-ons is there someplace that has more stylish looking letters?

My first racing laser was named Lazy Eye... it came to me after a gelcoat incident. Not to mention at the time I had a hard time hitting the starting line at the gun... so it was fitting on several accounts

I named my boat pride, because it is my pride self explanatory. under it it has in smaller letters Shawnee, ks under it like big boats. this is all on the right of the transom.
l_ef6e8b9f2410fb28fa5bf1c1b458b71f.jpg

Back