Mystery vertical plate on 1970 Sunfish.

paddywagon

Hi all, I just joined the forum after purchasing a 69-70 sunfish off of Craigslist. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how my rudder attached to the hull of the boat until I finally looked closely at my hardware vs. the standard old style rudder hardware. The vertical plate is completely different, and much too short to fit what's on my hull. I'm starting to wonder if it's a rudder from a different boat, although the tiller looks the same. Does anyone recognize this hardware? Do you think I could buy the correct vertical plate and still use it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Rudder-2.jpg
    Rudder-2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Rudder-3.jpg
    Rudder-3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Rudder-1-2.jpg
    Rudder-1-2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 56
I am in the process of up grading my rudder hardware. I will have the part you need for the rudder available as soon as my parts show up. I expect early next week.
If it will fit your rudder, I can sell you the part you need.

Looking at photos, I think you're right beldar! That makes sense since it looked so similar to a sunfish rudder. John, let me know when you've upgraded, I think I already spoke to you about the spring plate. Looks like I might take more pieces.

No problem. I'll get you what you need.
I have the long bolt that goes to the spring plate also.
Best thing is send me a picture of everything you have, and I'll make sure you get all the parts you need to mount your rudder

Back