Mystery boat?

Wenjen4

I bought this boat last weekend. It is titled as a 1971. I now know this can't be possible. The title lists the serial number as, 36CAPRI. The plate on the hull lists the model# as, "C-14.2" and serial# as "36". I'm stumped. Any help understanding what I have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20190428_184805.jpg
    20190428_184805.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190506_185244.jpg
    20190506_185244.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190428_165843.jpg
    20190428_165843.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20190428_184847.jpg
    20190428_184847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
That Serial #36 might be the hull production number, discounting prototypes... but the year is a stumper, since the boat is NOT one of the old Capri 14s made by another boat builder. A computer error at the DMV, perhaps? I remember sailing the old Capri 14s out of Fiddler's Cove and the SDNSC (San Diego Naval Sailing Club) on the Silver Strand in Coronado, those were fun boats to sail, along with the Lido 14s. With one of those older Capri 14s, the year would make sense, but this is clearly a Capri 14.2 built years later... :confused:

Perhaps the former owner who titled the boat had the year wrong, and the folks at the DMV simply entered the wrong year. That would make more sense, especially since the gubmint and its bureaucrats are prone to compound errors, LOL. ;)

Meh, I'd just run with it as it is and sail the boat, it has a valid registration number & sticker, right? I would certainly NOT bring the odd circumstance to the attention of any gubmint bureaucrats, THAT might wind up costing you more money, LOL. :eek:

CHEERS, and HAPPY SAILING!!! :rolleyes:

That Serial #36 might be the hull production number, discounting prototypes... but the year is a stumper, since the boat is NOT one of the old Capri 14s made by another boat builder. A computer error at the DMV, perhaps? I remember sailing the old Capri 14s out of Fiddler's Cove and the SDNSC (San Diego Naval Sailing Club) on the Silver Strand in Coronado, those were fun boats to sail, along with the Lido 14s. With one of those older Capri 14s, the year would make sense, but this is clearly a Capri 14.2 built years later... :confused:

Perhaps the former owner who titled the boat had the year wrong, and the folks at the DMV simply entered the wrong year. That would make more sense, especially since the gubmint and its bureaucrats are prone to compound errors, LOL. ;)

Meh, I'd just run with it as it is and sail the boat, it has a valid registration number & sticker, right? I would certainly NOT bring the odd circumstance to the attention of any gubmint bureaucrats, THAT might wind up costing you more money, LOL. :eek:

CHEERS, and HAPPY SAILING!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply! I should have updated my post.

I visited with a gentleman from Catalina, and helped trace down some more info. He told me this was likely a first year Capri 14.2, probably '82 or '83, can't remember. He said it was probably the 36th boat built. He was unable to help me locate the actual hull number. Unless 36 is actually the hull number.

I'm taking your advice and just going with it. I'm not going to let those nimrods at the DMV screw it up even further.

Thanks again for your efforts to help me gain some insight.

Unfortunately, no. I live in southeastern Oklahoma. More than likely I'll be sailing at Holdenville lake, and maybe a little at Texoma.

Does your boat have a hull number engraved into the right side of transom? The year is pretty darn easy to pull from that.

The wooden cuddy door suggests that it's a Mod-1. Later models (there were three) had a canvass cover, then later a plastic cover over the cuddy.

Other than the wood cover on the cuddy, it looks just like my '92 Mod-2.

Back