my sail number

ang

i have 3 sails and 3 numbers, if i got a new sail should i match one of the sail numbers or the hull number?
radial race #190471 ( i think this one is the hull #)
radial practice #184454
4.7 #188189

the hull number is the boat's true number. Use that one.
If you race, chances are you'll meet your doppleganger and have to start peeling numbers off before you can enter a series.
I use a white rag, mineral turps, and an old credit card to peel off the numbers and scrape away the goo. Make sure you have a backing board, as the turps will go straight through the sail to whatever it is on. Don't warry Dacron/polyester sail cloth is not affected by turps.

Probably not Ang, as long as the number is unique in your local fleet you will be OK. If you turn up at a class open event then the sails that you use should match the hull for the boat to be considered class legal.

Other than top-level regattas, no one really cares if the sail number matches the hull number. The numbers need to be legilble, and they need to be unique. That means no coloring in numbers with a marker and no adding a "1" with duct tape.

If your numbers are clearly visible and do not conflict with anyone else's boat, I'd just leave them alone.

Back