My poor Sailfish!

Seaotter5

I brought my Super Sailfish (“Redfish”) home in late July, but she still hasn’t made it into the water. Settling my parents estate, home repairs, getting my Minifish (“2Fish”) race tuned, and life in general have conspired to keep her on dry land. Last week I finally got her on the trailer and over to the lake, but the winds had gone from 5+ mph to 15+ while we were on the road. Testing a new boat with a 75 sq foot sail and a 36 inch beam In 15-20 mph winds seemed like a great way to get wet (over and over again), so we went back home to wait for a better day.
Thursday is supposed to be in the mid-70s with 5 mph “winds”, so we are going to try again.
I am bringing home the fourth (and last!) of the adoptive siblings on Wednesday: “Bluefish the Sunfish” is getting picked up on Wednesday. But “Redfish” gets to go swimming before Bluefish. It’s only fair
Yes, there is a reason for all of the boats. A few years ago I used my small fleet of canoes and kayaks to get people out onto the water. Around 30 of those I loaned a boat to became avid paddlers. I am hoping to do the same sort of things with the sailboats. The world could use a few more sailors. And maybe, just maybe, one of them will be so bad that I won’t come in last every race. Hey, one can dream!

Attachments

• A4549EDA-97F7-4369-BBBF-26F652F7A235.jpeg
    A4549EDA-97F7-4369-BBBF-26F652F7A235.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Haha, Seaotter5, you missed your calling... you should've been a comedian! :D

But you're right, the world could use a few more sailors... might be a more peaceful place if we had 'em. :rolleyes:

As for being a comedian, well, women have been laughing at me for YEARS, usually at the size of my... um... er... WALLET!!! :eek:

Damn, sometimes I slay myself... and after that line, women here at this site probably won't be enamored, LOL. [sob] ;)

I brought my Super Sailfish (“Redfish”) home in late July, but she still hasn’t made it into the water. Settling my parents estate, home repairs, getting my Minifish (“2Fish”) race tuned, and life in general have conspired to keep her on dry land. Last week I finally got her on the trailer and over to the lake, but the winds had gone from 5+ mph to 15+ while we were on the road. Testing a new boat with a 75 sq foot sail and a 36 inch beam In 15-20 mph winds seemed like a great way to get wet (over and over again), so we went back home to wait for a better day.
Thursday is supposed to be in the mid-70s with 5 mph “winds”, so we are going to try again.
I am bringing home the fourth (and last!) of the adoptive siblings on Wednesday: “Bluefish the Sunfish” is getting picked up on Wednesday. But “Redfish” gets to go swimming before Bluefish. It’s only fair
Yes, there is a reason for all of the boats. A few years ago I used my small fleet of canoes and kayaks to get people out onto the water. Around 30 of those I loaned a boat to became avid paddlers. I am hoping to do the same sort of things with the sailboats. The world could use a few more sailors. And maybe, just maybe, one of them will be so bad that I won’t come in last every race. Hey, one can dream!

Hello Seaotter,

I recently joined the Forum and noticed one of your threads about Super Sailfish MK11 handrails that you make from
cypress. I recently acquired a late 60's to early 70's Sailfish which is in need of a total restoration/renovation.
It is missing one handrail and the remaining one is not in the best shape.
Wondering what you charge for a set of handrails? Also wondering if you know of a shop or individual in the Northern
Virginia area that might do a total restorations on an Alcort Sailfish?

Thank you for your attention.

Paul
[email protected]
10-5-21 3:25pm

The person you want to check with is Signal Charlie. He is the Sunfish/Sailfish restoration guru, and I think he makes rails for the sailfish.
I am not really sure that paying to have a Sailfish restored is worth the cost, unless for some reason you really just want one. But they are a great do-it-yourself project if the hull is in good shape. The sticking point is always the rudder assembly hardware. If you have all of the original parts you are very fortunate. Make sure that you don’t lose any of them while Sailing!
I got a Sailfish mainly because I got it in good shape for a great price, and because I can haul it and my Minifish on my kayak trailer at the same time. If I could have just one sailboat, though, it would definitely be the Sunfish. It’s more capable and comfortable, and parts are MUCH more widely available. It is a much better candidate for a restoration than a Sailfish. Unless, like I said, you really WANT a Sailfish. Wanting a boat is the very best reason for getting one!

Back