My new Tech4Design Sunfish Dolly!

Woodwind

New Dolly.... YAY!!! :D
I had an old Seitech dolly available to refit/repair but it’s been around for a while and on closer examination I could see the fiberglass filled plastic parts were sun weathered and possibly brittle. I could see the reinforcement strands, the bearings were seizing and the rubber on the wheels was shot and bubbled. After I priced the repair parts I realized it was time to buy a new dolly. So I declined purchasing this used and went onto a new dolly.

I settled on the Tech 4 Designs dolly.

This dolly doesn’t have all the plastic erector set pieces, it’s machined very accurately and it’s a great design, easy to assemble because all the drilled holes match up perfectly.
All the hardware and tubing is marine grade as are the axles . The two young men that designed it are both budding engineers, have been dinghy Sailors all their lives.
They we’re in charge of repairing a fleet of Seitech dollys at their local sailing club and came up with the redesign and also designed repair parts for Seitech dollys after wrenching on a lot of broken dollys.

It’s light and easy to use, easy to assemble. No more plastic parts to disintegrate and break, the axles are super strong, and the bearings are tough too.
Their customer service is great and they have all the repair parts you‘ll ever need if you were to need them, but this is a very high quality built dolly.

It’s powder coated. If you want they were offering custom powder coat to any color you want.
I just got the standard one with the beach wheels. The wheels are not solid they’re air type wheels.

BTW they sell replacement wheels that will fit the Seitec/dynamic, also engineered repair parts too.

Attachments

• 7E7E019C-846D-43CB-9E7F-D63752C09A65.jpeg
    7E7E019C-846D-43CB-9E7F-D63752C09A65.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
  • A9020927-54C3-488B-BD2E-7E9A0BE467EC.jpeg
    A9020927-54C3-488B-BD2E-7E9A0BE467EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • D50788C1-74FD-4EE1-94D2-6190C8FECE34.jpeg
    D50788C1-74FD-4EE1-94D2-6190C8FECE34.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: tag
How much do they cost? My Seitech has got to be 20 years or more old. Except for tires needing to be replaced it is still going strong!

How much do they cost? My Seitech has got to be 20 years or more old. Except for tires needing to be replaced it is still going strong!
Hey Beldar,
The Tech4 Design Dolly is now available at Intensity for $385, a new item.
I don’t think that includes shipping and it’s with the standard wheels.

Do you know what material these are constructed with? Mild steel, aluminum, stainless? How heavy are they compared to a Seitech?

Powdered coated Aluminum.
My guess it’s probably lighter because you don’t have all of those injection molded reinforced plastic connectors.
it is a nice color blue but from what I understand you can have one made any color you want if they’re still not too busy for that.

Check out their website or call, they will answer and are super friendly.
I think they can answer all your questions. 404-990-3181 Tech4Designs

I have been using mine just about every day for two weeks and I love it.

Just know that right now they are swamped with orders.
And remember they have two wheel sizes the regular and the beach which is much wider.
I have the beach wheels as I launch into a freshwater lake with a lot of vegitation And a sandy beach.

It is light, My Sunfish fits on it perfectly and I can either push it or pull it with ease On an incline too.
I use an Intensity Sails top deck cover and that doesn’t interfere with the bow piece fitting under the lip.
There’s an added eye strap on the front upright near the handle that you can use to have a tie,
to secure through the handle if you want. I do this with a small piece of yacht braid.

hope this helps :D

Last edited:
Powdered coated Aluminum.
My guess it’s probably lighter because you don’t have all of those injection molded reinforced plastic connectors.
it is a nice color blue but from what I understand you can have one made any color you want if they’re still not too busy for that.

Check out their website or call, they will answer and are super friendly.
I think they can answer all your questions. 404-990-3181 Tech4Designs

I have been using mine just about every day for two weeks and I love it.

Just know that right now they are swamped with orders.
And remember they have two wheel sizes the regular and the beach which is much wider.
I have the beach wheels as I launch into a freshwater lake with a lot of vegitation And a sandy beach.

It is light, My Sunfish fits on it perfectly and I can either push it or pull it with ease On an incline too.
I use an Intensity Sails top deck cover and that doesn’t interfere with the bow piece fitting under the lip.
There’s an added eye strap on the front upright near the handle that you can use to have a tie,
to secure through the handle if you want. I do this with a small piece of yacht braid.

hope this helps :D
Vegetation ;)

New Dolly.... YAY!!! :D
I had an old Seitech dolly available to refit/repair but it’s been around for a while and on closer examination I could see the fiberglass filled plastic parts were sun weathered and possibly brittle. I could see the reinforcement strands, the bearings were seizing and the rubber on the wheels was shot and bubbled. After I priced the repair parts I realized it was time to buy a new dolly. So I declined purchasing this used and went onto a new dolly.

I settled on the Tech 4 Designs dolly.

This dolly doesn’t have all the plastic erector set pieces, it’s machined very accurately and it’s a great design, easy to assemble because all the drilled holes match up perfectly.
All the hardware and tubing is marine grade as are the axles . The two young men that designed it are both budding engineers, have been dinghy Sailors all their lives.
They we’re in charge of repairing a fleet of Seitech dollys at their local sailing club and came up with the redesign and also designed repair parts for Seitech dollys after wrenching on a lot of broken dollys.

It’s light and easy to use, easy to assemble. No more plastic parts to disintegrate and break, the axles are super strong, and the bearings are tough too.
Their customer service is great and they have all the repair parts you‘ll ever need if you were to need them, but this is a very high quality built dolly.

It’s powder coated. If you want they were offering custom powder coat to any color you want.
I just got the standard one with the beach wheels. The wheels are not solid they’re air type wheels.

BTW they sell replacement wheels that will fit the Seitec/dynamic, also engineered repair parts too.
Woodwind,

What are your thoughts and recommendations on your Tech4designs Sunfish dolly after the 2021 sailing season? What year is your Sunfish? I ask because I read that the Jotag dollies work best with the older ones with aluminum rub rails and wondered if the Tech4designs dolly worked best with an order, newer or both.

Does the Tech4designs dolly break down easily?

Thanks!

I love my Tech 4 Designs dolly, it does break down easily although I don’t break it down often.
I’ve used it pretty hard, I sail a lot.

The Paint is holding up zero dings, Everything is quality on it.
I have the bigger beach tires and they’re more buoyant than the regular tires… enough to slightly lift the hull up a little off the bottom in waves when I go over the grasses in my lake when launching.

I have an era of Sunfish that does not have the metal rub rails.

My recommendation is yes buy it. It has better bearings than the Seitech/Dynamic, the replacement wheels are cheaper and they appear to be the same quality as the Seitech/Dynamic.
The support is very good. I was missing one plastic cap for the Rectangular upright…there are “mud dauber” wasps here in the spring so I wanted to close it off. They sent it to me quickly free of charge.

I purchased mine through Amazon it was significantly cheaper with no delivery charge. I think you can call them and they’ll set up one on Amazon for you to buy if you want to do it that way. They really are “can do“ very positive and they’re located in Atlanta Georgia.

Possibly if your boat is much heavier or waterlogged, if you feel more comfortable with the Dynamic and want to look like the rest of the crowd it may be your choice also. Maybe compare the weights also I can’t remember if the Jotag has solid wheels or not. It all adds up when you’re pulling your boat on your dolly.

Tech 4 was doing custom colors I’m not sure if they’re still doing that now.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck !!

I love my Tech 4 Designs dolly, it does break down easily although I don’t break it down often.
I’ve used it pretty hard, I sail a lot.

The Paint is holding up zero dings, Everything is quality on it.
I have the bigger beach tires and they’re more buoyant than the regular tires… enough to slightly lift the hull up a little off the bottom in waves when I go over the grasses in my lake when launching.

I have an era of Sunfish that does not have the metal rub rails.

My recommendation is yes buy it. It has better bearings than the Seitech/Dynamic, the replacement wheels are cheaper and they appear to be the same quality as the Seitech/Dynamic.
The support is very good. I was missing one plastic cap for the Rectangular upright…there are “mud dauber” wasps here in the spring so I wanted to close it off. They sent it to me quickly free of charge.

I purchased mine through Amazon it was significantly cheaper with no delivery charge. I think you can call them and they’ll set up one on Amazon for you to buy if you want to do it that way. They really are “can do“ very positive and they’re located in Atlanta Georgia.

Possibly if your boat is much heavier or waterlogged, if you feel more comfortable with the Dynamic and want to look like the rest of the crowd it may be your choice also. Maybe compare the weights also I can’t remember if the Jotag has solid wheels or not. It all adds up when you’re pulling your boat on your dolly.

Tech 4 was doing custom colors I’m not sure if they’re still doing that now.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck !!
Thanks you for the updated review. Intensity Sails seems to the the best price for $385 with regular wheels. They do not have an option for beach wheels.

The price on Tech4Designs site is $440 and $460.
It definitely gives me another good option to consider. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Steve

Back