my "new" 1978 Sunfish

wardie

I was able to trade my nice but has a soft deck 1975 Force 5 for a 1978 original Sunfish. I hull is clean , no repairs. The PO gave me two sails , two sets of spares and one mast and a tee nee trailer. I took it out for about half an hour last night and when I came back I found that I had some water in the hull. I drained it out. Maybe 1/2 quart through the drain plug on the side. The deck has no inspection ports and I'm undecided if I should put one in. The plastic bailer was slightly lose and I wonder if that's where the water came in? Probably do the hull soapy water test, but unsure where the water could have come in because everything looks good hull wise?

With the help of the forum I was able to find the Windflite leaks and repair them and that boat is great.

One other question there are brown leaf stains (from where PO left boat uncovered? in the cockpit and some on the deck. Tried a water soluable cleaner and it took some out but the stains in the cockpit where the leafs lay in water is really stained can anyone share what to use to get rid or at least minimize them?

Wardie,

Try regular laundry bleach full strength on the stains. Cheap and usually effective. Apply and let it sit in the sun for a few minutes. Wear gloves and eye protection. If this does not work, rinse and try CLR (Calcium, Lime rust) product. If that does not work, use $FSR$ (Fiberglass Stain Remover, expensive but one small jar will last you for years.)

Alan Glos

I found that I had some water in the hull. I drained it out. Maybe 1/2 quart through the drain plug on the side. The deck has no inspection ports and I'm undecided if I should put one in. The plastic bailer was slightly lose and I wonder if that's where the water came in?
Not very likely, as the hull is bonded tightly to the cockpit there. (But it has happened).

If it's in the deck, and if sailing included some water over the bow, I'd suspect the mast step is leaking. The splashboard mounting points could also be suspect, especially if it's been torn off and reattached without addressing [hidden] holes left by the damage. The most serious leak would be the daggerboard trunk, because a leak—even above the waterline—can be hidden from sight, and would ordinarily be a difficult repair. My fix was by a gloved hand, where I worked a layer of MarineTex—thoroughly covering any possible leak—as far in as I could reach.
AMF Windflite leaking | SailingForums.com

The mast step is an easy test: remove the mast, and fill the mast step with water. You may not have to wait long to see if that's the trouble-point. Suggested repairs:
Repairing a crack in the mast step | SailingForums.com

The reason people do the soapy water pressure test is because it's hard to find the leaks - they usually are not obvious. So that will be your key to figuring things out.

I was able to trade my nice but has a soft deck 1975 Force 5 for a 1978 original Sunfish. I hull is clean , no repairs. The PO gave me two sails , two sets of spares and one mast and a tee nee trailer. I took it out for about half an hour last night and when I came back I found that I had some water in the hull. I drained it out. Maybe 1/2 quart through the drain plug on the side. The deck has no inspection ports and I'm undecided if I should put one in. The plastic bailer was slightly lose and I wonder if that's where the water came in? Probably do the hull soapy water test, but unsure where the water could have come in because everything looks good hull wise?

With the help of the forum I was able to find the Windflite leaks and repair them and that boat is great.

One other question there are brown leaf stains (from where PO left boat uncovered? in the cockpit and some on the deck. Tried a water soluable cleaner and it took some out but the stains in the cockpit where the leafs lay in water is really stained can anyone share what to use to get rid or at least minimize them?
try acetone on the stains

Back