My Laser

Jinggjong

laser racing to the max
This is my 1985 Laser. I bought it last august and have been replacing things. I was wondering if anyone had any changes to my setup? I was also wondering why my outhaul bungee is not doing its job?
DSCN2613.JPG
DSCN2619.JPG
DSCN2620.JPG
DSCN2621.JPG
DSCN2614.JPG
DSCN2615.JPG
DSCN2616.JPG
DSCN2621.JPG
DSCN2617.JPG

This is my 1985 Laser. I bought it last august and have been replacing things. I was wondering if anyone had any changes to my setup? I was also wondering why my outhaul bungee is not doing its job?

It appears there is more friction in the outhaul system then there could be - the blue line is too thick and that's leading to some binding in the fairlead at the clew end of the boom. The 12 strand line also appears to be a bit thick as well, and most likely not running as free as it could thru the small deck block at the base of the mast. If it were me, I would downsize both of those lines, and use dyneema for the line running thru the boom fairlead. Dyneema will run with less friction then dacron or nylon

Take a look what Andrew Scrivan has come up with, and his reasons why.. http://www.procontrolsystems.com/home

I agree with Tentmaker... your main issue seems to be one of friction. But here's something else that may help.

When I originally set up the clew return bungee, it didn't work that well. Then I rigged it in the way that Steve Cockerill showed in a video I found and it worked much better.

At the end of the following video, he shows how I now have mine rigged. You'll also notice how thin the lines are that he uses for the outhaul.

- Andy

what thickness and I have the intensity sails inhaul. How far is max off for the outhaul?

Last edited:
Clew cringle 9 inch from boom end fairlead, any more it's a circus tent
Ah, I'm not personally a fan of those particular webbing tie downs, I found once the other controls are banged on it resisted. So I made my own.

I just went racing and won 4 out 5 races. I bought 1/8 or something
dyneema for the outhaul and rigged the inhual how steve crockiell did.

it looks to me like your using your primary line for control, and you control line as primary, swap them round and you should notice a differance.

At present it looks like your using the line that should loop through the eye at the end of the boom (the plain white one) to actually grab onto in teh cock pit, the one you currently have at teh end of teh boom (purple) should come down to the cockpit,

in fact it look like all your ropes are pretty high friction types, get some vectran for running through the bloccks, i think mmost of what i've sai has allready been covered anyway...

Back