My j24 came with a self-tailing winch. Where should I position the Chrome arm of the winch.

Sailredkite

My j24 came with self tailing winches where should I position the tailing arm of the winch.
Right now it's pointing towards the bow but I would think it should be pointed towards the cockpit. Your ideas would be helpful thank you

In short you should put the stripper any direction you want. Typically the stripper dumps the line toward the grinder.
DAle

My j24 came with self tailing winches where should I position the tailing arm of the winch.
Right now it's pointing towards the bow but I would think it should be pointed towards the cockpit. Your ideas would be helpful thank you
what size are the self tailing winches?

More importantly, where is the gear cluster located? The gears should always point towards the incoming load. This way the drum moves away from the gears under load. Most people do not know this. If the gears are away from the load as the drum moves ever so slightly the inner surface of the drum housing will rub against the gear supports. And yes, put the stripper anywhere you want to get the line to go anywhere you need it to go.
Dale

Back