My First Trial Rigging (on trailer)

gsr977

Apr1977-Sunfish
Had time to do a trial rigging of my sunfish today, after reading up on the basics. Its pretty easy although not 100% on my halyard placement on the upper boom, the sail seems a little low. All in all, it all went up and back down again painlessly. :)

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

The eyelet just forward of the keel, is it for a rope to keep the keel with the boat?

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

Looking good, but you need to get the daggerboard secured so it won't fall out when capsized/turtled.

A sailclip at the end of the tiller extension is helpful.

Also, in due time, you will want to install a block and get rid of the hook.

The eye on the deck just forward of the daggerboard trunk opening is for attaching a line to the daggerboard to keep the board with the hull in the event of a capsize, but you may want to install a JC Strap, a piece of shock cord that goes from the intersection of the booms back to the daggerboard and then back to the intersection of the booms. This rig will keep the board up or down and anywhere in between and help keep the sail eased out when running down wind and keep the board with the boat in the event of a capsize.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Looking good, but you need to get the daggerboard secured so it won't fall out when capsized/turtled.

A sailclip at the end of the tiller extension is helpful.

Also, in due time, you will want to install a block and get rid of the hook.

Please forgive my :rolleyes:noobishness, what is a block? sounds useful!

The eye on the deck just forward of the daggerboard trunk opening is for attaching a line to the daggerboard to keep the board with the hull in the event of a capsize, but you may want to install a JC Strap, a piece of shock cord that goes from the intersection of the booms back to the daggerboard and then back to the intersection of the booms. This rig will keep the board up or down and anywhere in between and help keep the sail eased out when running down wind and keep the board with the boat in the event of a capsize.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

That's a good idea thanks for the tip!

Please forgive my noobishness, what is a block? :rolleyes:
A block is one of these...
yhst-93677583879572_2100_4152446

You probably call it a pulley, but when it's put to work in a system, on or off a boat, it's more specifically known of as a "block".

block-amp-tackle-pulley-200X200.jpg
stock-photo-a-photo-of-three-pulleys-ropes-and-yacht-boom-33053755.jpg

You can Google "nautical terms" and "parts of a boat" for the full nomenclature, but with Sunfish only a few terms are needed to help keep things straight.

... not to be confused with Pirate Talk.
( http://www.filmedge.net/POTC2/culture2.htm )

chickenpirate.jpg

It looks like you don't have the tiller under the bridle where it belongs.
Maybe it's the picture or my bad eyes. In any case, make sure it's correct before you hit the water or for sure you'll hit the water!

Fred

Please forgive my :rolleyes:noobishness, what is a block? sounds useful!

Here is a fairly recent thread about them: http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=32133
attachment.php

I ended up writing a blog post about them, and after talking with a rep at Torresen Marine about it, I will be (eventually) getting the Harken 2135 block, but am not sure yet if I'll spring for the Harken H241 swiveling cleat.
http://my2fish.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/sunfish-mainsheet-block/

Intensity Sails has a JC strap (for holding in the daggerboard as Alan Glos mentioned) for $6.50: http://www.intensitysails.com/jcstbucomawi.html

cheers,
tag

Thank ye for the tips, and laughs (Wayne) I'll add one to the list :D

Blew a $100 bucks at the marine shop today I think I'm almost ready, another week should do it! Got some work to do..

x1 Life vest
x1 2oz Marine-tex
x1 Marine coat scratch patch
x1 Marine wood varish
x1 halyard rope
x1 telescoping paddle
x1 paint brush (for varnish)

Edit: thanks for the links tag, very helpful.

ok, so i have a swiveling cleat mounted on my boat. what exactly would having a ratchet block add to this setup? doesn't the cleat do the job of securing the sheet?

ok, so i have a swiveling cleat mounted on my boat. what exactly would having a ratchet block add to this setup? doesn't the cleat do the job of securing the sheet?
A cleat and a ratchet block perform two separate functions.

The ratchet block has a special behavior sheave (the turning pulley) that rotates when you sheet in, easing the effort needed to trim the sail, however, the sheave locks when you let the mainsheet out making it a friction surface. By becoming a friction device the block reduces the tug of the sail and the effort you have to exert holding the line.

Stripped the keel, rudder and tiller today with some kleanstrip, man that stuff really works well after 30+ years all the varnish scrapped right off. After a day of drying and light sanding I will begin the 3 coat prescription of sikkens cetol marine.

EDIT: I think I will end up getting one of the Intensity JC straps and might order one of their 24' 5mm halyards as well. Intensity seems to be reasonably priced. Thanks for the tip off.

Coat #2 of sikkens today, I will post some photos of the finished product, so far looks nice, miles ahead of what they used to look like.:D

Back