My First Outing

AdvKayaker

After 2 days of playing tour guide kayaking the Withlacoochee River here in Florida, last night a few hours before sunset I decided last minute to take the Sunfish out for my first attempt at sailing. Had a weather delay as Mother Nature decided last minute to throw in a 30 minute rain and lightning show. I had already rigged it when the storm came in so I dropped the sail and pulled her up on the beach and waited it out.
Here are my takeaways from my first time out.
1. It's a lot easier than I had expected in nearly every way. I never went much more than a half mile before making a u turn learning how to tack. Did this probably a dozen times back and forth. I think I learned pretty quick about shifting body weight when the boom goes overhead. lol
2. It's a lot more fun than I had expected. She turns on a dime. It blew me away how sensitive she is to rudder input! I'm not selling any of my kayaks anytime soon but the gal was a blast.
3. Had a small rigging issue that had me worried when I had to drop the sail pronto. Keep rigging simple. Keep all lines clear of others. Lesson learned.
4. I need to figure out a way to create some deck storage. Dry boxes, paddle etc. all need to be out of the footwell.
No pics but it happened.

Sounds great!! You should practice a capsize and recovery near shore - but in water deep enough that the top of the sail does not get stuck in the bottom. Eventually you will capsize!

Can you fit what you need to store in the inspection port up by the spashrail?

Sounds great!! You should practice a capsize and recovery near shore - but in water deep enough that the top of the sail does not get stuck in the bottom. Eventually you will capsize!

I plan on just that soon but at the time I don't have an onlooker just in case. Should be super simple vs rolling a kayak.

Can you fit what you need to store in the inspection port up by the spashrail?

No way and I prefer super fast easy access. Qty 2, 1 liter bottles, take down paddle, small dry box, camera, occasionally a PFD, bilge pump or sponge.
I don't have the heart or nerve to be drilling holes in the deck.

I don't have the heart or nerve to be drilling holes in the deck.

The pic you posted of your boat shows one port already installed. Water and the PFD can be stuffed in the cockpit storage. Cameras probably not!!

I’ve never rolled a kayak but at least they don’t have 75 sq feet of sail full of water to deal with!! But you wont have any trouble with it. Little kids can right a Sunfish.

I've seen a few of the videos of righting the Sunfish. I can see where it would actually be a little fun under the right circumstances.

you can get a bag (example: RWO Barnie Bag for 5) that fits the port size you already have - use a ziploc bag or dry bag for anything that you don't want to get wet. I have a small dry bag on a lanyard for my cell phone, wear it around my neck/clipped to my life jacket.

there's also the Bottleport (don't have one personally) that also fits in a 5" port: Bottleport (says a Fat Bag fits underneath it as well...

for the rest of the stuff, just cram it into the storage cubby in the back of the cockpit.

I looked around last night and I think I came up with a fix. 4 suction cup hooks and some 3/16" shock cord should do the trick. It'll keep the footwell clear and secure everything down. Rear cubby hole needs a door. Something else on my list.

Second outing was this evening. 6-8 mph winds were perfect for my practicing. Got tacking down pat. Damn near capsized on one. Stopped, thought about what all I did wrong and from that AHA moment, all was great. Got it down to one fluid motion. I'm a happy camper it that dept.
This sailing stuff is so different from the kayaking I'm accustomed to. Such minor adjustments make such a big difference. Reading the wind is a blast to learn and feel. I'm trying really hard to get optimum performance/speed buy just feeling the tension on the 'mainsheet'? and the tiller. So far it's been quite enjoyable. Next trip out will be self rescue which I don't feel will be an issue.
After that it's off to something more challenging. I've no idea yet what that will be though.
IMG_0222.jpg

Fantastic stuff. I'm enjoying these posts.
In that last photo you are sitting quite far back. You need to sit nearer to the front of the cockpit to trim the boat ;^)
haha. That's the first thing I told my wife when she showed me the pictures. Actually the only reason I had her take the pictures was for me to critique what was going on. Thanks. I need to get really good at this and peoples comments help a lot.

Hey I have a forum question. Reading a few of my posts I have some rather embarrassing typos. I can't find a way to edit my posts to save my life.

You've got thirty minutes for an edit—that's IT! :(

I looked around last night and I think I came up with a fix. 4 suction cup hooks and some 3/16" shock cord should do the trick. It'll keep the footwell clear and secure everything down. Rear cubby hole needs a door. Something else on my list.

Select one of those huge TIDE detergent containers, and shear a bit off one side so it can be removed easily. Pushing the container "in" seems easy, until you need it outit will resist you much! :confused: If it's made "snug", it'll stay in place should you capsize or even turtle. :cool:

I "selected" two from a recycling-bin that was not my own. :oops: :eek: :)

Back