My first day out on a sunfish

H2oPaul

It was all I herd and read about. it was a blast. it was simple. it was fast. I loce this boat. by the way Im Paul and im new to this forum. my bailer did not suck the water out all that good, this do to the low speed wind? does it suck the water out better when you go faster?

The bailer is designed to work on reaches or down wind. It's best to keep it closed upwind.

I always have a big sponge stuck back in the storage compartment. As the bailer will NEVER dry out the cockpit completely.

This question should probably start a new thread, but I'll ask it here anyway...

Is there any trick to keeping the bailer closed? I seem to kick it open while tacking.

Kevin

Kevin Pierce said:
This question should probably start a new thread, but I'll ask it here anyway...

Is there any trick to keeping the bailer closed? I seem to kick it open while tacking.

Kevin

There is a ball with a rubber gasket that goes in the bailer. When you arnt moveing fast enough the ball pushes against that gasket and stops water from comeing in. I kick it open a lot too but i dont worry about it because i have the ball.

You are the only person I have heard say the ball works. My new bailer leaks if the plug isn't in tight. Everyone I talk too says they have the same experience. The old style I had on earlier boats leaked too even when I put in a new ball and o-ring.

Dan said:
You are the only person I have heard say the ball works. My new bailer leaks if the plug isn't in tight. Everyone I talk too says they have the same experience. The old style I had on earlier boats leaked too even when I put in a new ball and o-ring.

Yeah I've heard that some of them don't work well. Sometimes it will leak a little but it is cerently better then if i didn't have it. Other time it works perfectly. However for that little water that does leak in I have my sponge on board at all times.

Mine works when im going fast (10 mph) or higher. down wind does work better. but if im day sailing with less then 10 mph winds it does nothing for me. today i got the raper of a starburst candy worked its way into the bailer and by the time I saw it i had 12" of water in the boat lol. whent down wind with 35 mph winds and the darn thing finly came off and the water flushed its self out fast.:D

Back