My DIY dolly

sblanck

Had some bike tires from a kids bike and some left over 2x lumber.
Bought some flat plate steel and threw this together:
sunfish%20dolly_zpsfyeho75s.jpg

It looks similar to the DIY dolly I made except I used some 6" wheels from Harbor Freight. How deep does the water have to be before the boat floats?

I did adjust the height of the tires to the frame. I had a few inches to spare so I lowered it. I don't see any need to paint it.
If I attached a long PVC pipe for a handle and I floated the boat off I could see painting it. Since its of mostly wood re floating the boat onto it for retrieval seems impossible. We have used it twice and to and from trailer has been much easier.

Looks good! For temporary submersion you shouldn't need to paint it as long as you let it dry thoroughly in between dunkings. Sealing the end grain with some spar varnish wouldn't hurt, though. Using pressure treated lumber would extend its life (no paint required or desired in that case).

My dolly is constructed primarily from sealed PVC with pool "noodle" foam wrapped around the parts where the hull touches it. It is very buoyant. That's a huge plus since I can shove it under the boat and its buoyancy holds it in place as I haul the boat ashore. It works in reverse when putting the boat in the water - no worry about the dolly sinking and losing it; I could probably sail and it'd stay in place! ;)

Back