My Centerboard Wobbles...

I had a new early boat and the dam centerboard had to be shaved to fit... there obviously have been several generations of boards.
My second and third generation boat had alot of hum from the foils.
The most recent boat 2012 a 5 or 6th generation boat has alot of play in the trunk, no hum.
Two questions 1. in my new 2012 laser should I push or pull it the board in light winds for a better performance ( It wobbles a 1/2 " in the trunk)? 2. I know its against class rules, but whats the concept of having a company fair or align the rudder and dagger board ? I see that some advertisements for used boats have had these adjustments?

I had a new early boat and the dam centerboard had to be shaved to fit... there obviously have been several generations of boards.
My second and third generation boat had alot of hum from the foils.
The most recent boat 2012 a 5 or 6th generation boat has alot of play in the trunk, no hum.
Two questions 1. in my new 2012 laser should I push or pull it the board in light winds for a better performance ( It wobbles a 1/2 " in the trunk)? 2. I know its against class rules, but whats the concept of having a company fair or align the rudder and dagger board ? I see that some advertisements for used boats have had these adjustments?
Yes I have the new centerboard aft plate adjusted and velco strip in the top corner.

2. I know its against class rules, but whats the concept of having a company fair or align the rudder and dagger board ? I see that some advertisements for used boats have had these adjustments?

ILCA Class Rule 14 states that "the original shape, thickness, and characteristics" of the centerboard may not be altered.

Same for the rudder, although the trailing edge may be sharpened to a certain extent. The rudder angle may be altered to achieve the maximum 78 degree angle (Rule 15).

Obviously, if you don't race this discussion is moot...

The things that you can do that are class legal are to adjust the centerboard brake, centerboard downhaul, and place some tape or velcro at the front of the centerboard trunk.

There will be a slight play in the trunk even in a new boat, it doesn't effect performance much

I'd flip the hull over and put the centerboard in, see how much play you're getting underneath the boat

Did you get a new centerboard with your new boat?

Don't push or pull your daggerboard to 1 side or the other. If it's rattling from side to side upwind, you need to maintain heel and steer more effectively to control the flow over your foils.... Same goes when sailing downwind in light air, try to hold higher angles that put pressure on the board. Other than that, I don't think it should be your main focus at all. Spend your time maintaining your groove and let the boards do their job.
As far as altering the foils, I would only recommend wetsand the trailing edge (up to 1 inch) lightly with 1000 grit then 2000 grit. Should solve the humming problems. doing the same to the rudder will help reduce cavitation when reaching.

Post #9 you absolutely correct in that the wobble occurs both up wind and downwind in light winds. In these conditions I thought maybe it was to an advantage to push or pull the top of the board. ( i wasn't sure which way) I watched a rooster video that described sailing to windward, heeled windward in light winds that created lift.

Post #9 you absolutely correct in that the wobble occurs both up wind and downwind in light winds. In these conditions I thought maybe it was to an advantage to push or pull the top of the board. ( i wasn't sure which way) I watched a rooster video that described sailing to windward, heeled windward in light winds that created lift.
to poster #9 certainly you answered my question regarding wobbling boards, thank you!

"I wasn't sure which way"

Now for Laser sailing you really do not need to know this but if you are interested in the science of sailing here is a laymans guide to 'gybing boards'.
http://www.hornet.org.uk/forms/20051113104700centreboards.pdf

All laser centreboards are a lose fit, live with it. Post no.10- read the class rules, the amount of legal packing in the slot is very limited.

This ....

Every sailors dream ... you have a gybing board .... just do it legal ......

There is a tolerance with the dimensions of blades, as noted that wood ones are no longer competitive with new boats. Yet , I have new glass blades without a scratch in the sides, yet my older Lasers were roughed up due to their diameter. Is one type faster than the other? Can I use old "foam" blades instead of my new Infusion ones with my current boat?

Back