Media my '66 sunfish

zaxtvnz

'66 Sunfish Owner
hey everyone. im new to this forum and just wanted to show off my sf. i got it for free from a friend. when i got the trailer, it was completely rusted and a piece of junk. i repainted it, added a new axle and wheels, etc. just need a license for the trailer. i live in indiana. how do i go about doing that?

i haven't been able to do much to the boat yet. i hope to convert the rudder to the new style this winter. i also plan on repainting or regelcoating the hull because it has some major scratches and dings in it. any suggestions would be appreciated.

zach:cool:

Attachments

• Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Image00015.jpg
    Image00015.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 140
Zach,

I like that sail and am glad you can sail your SF as is. Trailer looks good, the wheeled jack is a good idea (the 2 wheel dolly is nice also) and would look even better with lights. Also think about upgrading your bunks that support your Sunfish on your trailer (longer and wider) and move the Sunfish further back on the trailer (centered more over the axle). You only need to have about 45-50 pounds on the hitch ball (stick a bathroom scale under the jack wheel). See Yahoo Sunfish Sailor (a good source for more info as well), Photo section, Skylarks Trailer (and elsewhere) for ideas. Contact your local Dept of Motor Vehicles and do a "lost title" seach if the previous owner does not have the title.

If the scratches and gouges on the bottom of the hull are not too deep and do not reach the fiberglass cloth, Marine-Tex can be used to fill them. Pretty easy to work with and you do not have to mix up the whole batch at once, just divide it properly. It does come in white, but will probably be brighter than the surrounding area. Not a big problem for me 'cause that is the side you normaly don't see. The rudder upgrade is a good idea if you plan on sailing in stronger winds.

I would suggest you carry your sail on your trailer with the forward end of the booms at the front if you continue to carry the sails rolled as shown, the wind can get under the back of the sail and open the sail like a parachute (not good). Wrap the main sheet around the sails (a Marlin Hitch is good). Better yet, put the sails and booms in a bag, it will keep them clean, lines organized and eliminate trailer wind wear.

I realize some of my suggestions cost a few bucks that a High Schooler may not have, but so far you seem to be a resourceful person. Good luck

Back