My 1991 boat doesn't have an inspection port... is that bad?

Gavin

Like i said, my boat doesn't have an inspection port(s). Is that a bad thing?It is a 1991 made by Pearson Boat Works (i think). Also, is there any way i can install one?

FWIW I don't think having an inspection port or not is a big deal. The big risk to deal with, is the joint between the bottom of the mast tube and the inside bottom of the hull. That joint was built weak up until "some point in time," and has broken on many older boats. That "point in time" is... I think... somewhere in the early or mid 1990's. I'm sorry but I don't know for sure- I can see your boat from 1991 is close to this timeframe and not clearly "ok" or clearly "should be reinforced." Hopefully others can jump in here and pinpoint it better. Or it might show up if you searched around on here.

**IF** your boat was built when this joint was built weak, and if you want to sail in more than, say, 10-12 knots of wind... if it was me, I'd put a port in, and reinforce that joint, FOR SURE, pretty soon. Why do I say that- If you put in the port and reinforce it before it breaks, it's maybe 2-4 hours and maybe $50-75 in materials. If it breaks first, the falling mast rips up the deck badly. Repairing that is... oh maybe $3-400?? in materials and... uhhh, maybe 20, 30, 40 hours of work??? Hard to say for sure, but for VERY sure, a lot more time, money + aggravation.

Putting the port in is pretty easy. You can buy the inspection port for maybe $25??? from West Marine, APS, dozens of others. I'd suggest 6 inch. Cut a hole, centered maybe 12" behind and beside the mast step hole. Lay down a line of sealant around that hole, and screw the port down onto the deck. Go to the side because there's a stiffener rib maybe 4" wide, running down the middle of the deck on the underside.

FWIW I don't think having an inspection port or not is a big deal. The big risk to deal with, is the joint between the bottom of the mast tube and the inside bottom of the hull. That joint was built weak up until "some point in time," and has broken on many older boats. That "point in time" is... I think... somewhere in the early or mid 1990's. I'm sorry but I don't know for sure- I can see your boat from 1991 is close to this timeframe and not clearly "ok" or clearly "should be reinforced." Hopefully others can jump in here and pinpoint it better. Or it might show up if you searched around on here.

**IF** your boat was built when this joint was built weak, and if you want to sail in more than, say, 10-12 knots of wind... if it was me, I'd put a port in, and reinforce that joint, FOR SURE, pretty soon. Why do I say that- If you put in the port and reinforce it before it breaks, it's maybe 2-4 hours and maybe $50-75 in materials. If it breaks first, the falling mast rips up the deck badly. Repairing that is... oh maybe $3-400?? in materials and... uhhh, maybe 20, 30, 40 hours of work??? Hard to say for sure, but for VERY sure, a lot more time, money + aggravation.

Putting the port in is pretty easy. You can buy the inspection port for maybe $25??? from West Marine, APS, dozens of others. I'd suggest 6 inch. Cut a hole, centered maybe 12" behind and beside the mast step hole. Lay down a line of sealant around that hole, and screw the port down onto the deck. Go to the side because there's a stiffener rib maybe 4" wide, running down the middle of the deck on the underside.
Thanks alot! that helps a bunch

Back