Media My 1974 Alcott

S

Sterile Snoopy

ffakxx.jpg

Since this picture, I've replaced the tiller(that snapped in two), added an inspection port, and drained 2 gallons of water from the hull.

Next year I'm adding a coat of paint, a new sail, a new sheet line, and a protective coat(of what I'm not sure yet) to the bottom.

My hope is to beat my friend's O'Day Javelin, hands down. I've beaten him 4 out of 5 times, but two times were by default(the rivets holding his boom on sheared off :D ).

Well enjoy my picture! I've found this forum to be quite helpful. :)

Snoop,

If ya wannt beat the javelin, you need to do all that plus make sure you are sitting in the right spot. The aft corner of the cockpit is slow. Move weight forward in light air. Move back when you can plane/surf. Also, windward heel downwind is fast and raise the daggerboard. Add some tell tales to your sail as well. Cheap and very beneficial.

On the sail thing, get a race version not the recreational version, or a race sail knock off (cheaper, but not class approved for one design racing). Much more power.

Also, leave the port cover off this winter and try to store indoors if possible. This will help dry out the water in the foam in your (probably heavy) boat.

Hint on sitting in the right place. . . Watch the flow off your transom. The water should move smoothly into side waves. If there's backflow toward your transom, you are creating drag, and you need to move forward. It's very sensitive to hull trim.
In moderate winds, you should be able to beat the Javelin by 10 minutes or so on 100.

Back