Mustang Suit vs. Dry suit

Lazzzerrr

I have a military style mustang suit that is in great shape. i am interested in frostbiting this year. If i get water proof gloves and footings do you think ill be good? Or should i put the money into a dry suit?

how often do you plan on swimming?

I'd say the mustang suit should be fine when worn with thermal underwear and such. however try to not capsize too often or the mustang suit material will get soaked and no longer provide the same thermal protection. my frostbite suit is a full 3/4mm wetsuit, regular dingy boots worn with a pair each of wool and neoprene socks, Gill 3 season gloves, a musto spray top, and either a beanie hat or wetsuit hood, keeps me nice and warm here in Virginia.

I have a military style mustang suit... It is like a flight suit but is made for cold water immersion. I'm just afraid it'll get too warm. I am also afraid that it'll restrict my range of motion.

I have a military style mustang suit... It is like a flight suit but is made for cold water immersion. I'm just afraid it'll get too warm. I am also afraid that it'll restrict my range of motion.

You could test it to see if its will be too hot on land, put the suit on and go outside for a jog, if its unbearable after a few minutes of excercise it will be much worse on the water.

If you can't move in it, its not a good idea for frostbiting. If you ask around you can probably borrow (free) or buy a used dry suit (cheap), or if you have the money buy a new one, usually the retailers are negotiable if you buy a new one. It is well worth the investment to be comfortable on the water.

Back