mounting a Baby Bob on the mast of my Catalina Capri 14.2?

Hi Ed - If you search this forum or maybe otherwise on the internet, I think you will find suggestions. I believe I have seen somebody offering a 3D printed part, or otherwise giving instructions on how to do this. I'm curious too ....
For now, I'm just tying a gallon jug to the top of the mast when it's real windy. I have also heard somebody recommend stuffing a pool noodle down the mast, but I think all our Capri's already have foam in the mast.

Yep if you check out my earlier posts I gave the skinny about how I mounted mine. Now this season I've gotten a bit lazy about keeping it on all of the time. Since I trailer a lot it always needs to be removed because bouncing down the road would not be good for the mast. Mine easliy slides in and bolts so I only use it when out on big water on challenging days. It does add some weight and windage to the worst possible spot, also makes it harder to step/lower the mast. After 7 seasons I have yet to dump her, there really is a lot of tolerance for how far she'll go over and still manage to self correct. Just let go of the helm and she'll pop up and come about to the opposite tack. You do need to be agile and handle the sheets quickly or you probably would go over. I've actually had water in the cockpit a few times from the lower side getting immersed!

Back