Motor on your boat?

fallspiper

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what people have on their Capri's as far as a motor (if any). I'm looking at maybe putting a small 2 hp outboard on it for getting in and out of port. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jason:)

motor mount question

I am a relatively new Capri owner & have been trying to sort out the same question. I found a very good thread by going to search, typing in motor, and then the thread dated 11-14-06 by CJDAVIA is very good. Talks about types of motors and pros & cons of various mounts. Shows some photos of a very clean boat / motor combo.
My boat is an '84. It came with a Nissan 3.5hp 4 stroke, at 28 lbs, when I bought it used a year ago. There is a wooden block bolted through the transom on the port side which I have assumed was original equipment, but after reading these posts I suspect it is not original. The motor is not offset from the transom by much, perhaps a few inches, whereas others on the post talk about setting it back 8" to 12" so as not to foul the lines. I cannot leave the motor on my boat the way the mount is set up due to interference with the traveller. I used my motor at the beginning of the season to get the sailboat out to the mooring and then at later back to dock, but I never left it on the boat when sailing.
I am very interested to learn if other owners leave their motor on the boat when under sail (with the prop out of the water.) My boat is moored in a salt pond on the Rhode Island coast, and I'd like to take it out to the Long Island sound. However I need to be able to get the boat through the breachway, and depending on tides, this can be either with or against a quite strong current. Therefore I have to have a motor to get out and on the boat when later under sail.
I'll be interested to hear if you find a motor mount that works for you.
Good luck.

fallspiper said:
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what people have on their Capri's as far as a motor (if any).
Jason:)

Jason,
Our marina is littered with large moored sailboats so having a motor to navigate the harbor is almost a necessity. I bought a Minn Kota Riptide 40 electric for our Capri. The boat came with a pretty nice motor mount installed on the port side of the transom. I attached a battery box to the starboard side so the whole rig is hanging off the stern.

With the battery and motor weighing in at around 55 pounds, it's a little less elegant than the lighter Honda 2HP motor, but the cost was less than half. I find the thrust more than adequate for all but the strongest headwinds.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks

Thanks for all of the feedback on the motors. I think I'm going to go with canoe paddles for now, but will consider all of this should they not be sufficient. Thanks again. :D

Jason

Torqeedo folding electric motor - rocks

I just bought a Torqeedo travel 801 folding electric outboat w/battery from West Marine - only need to the short-shaft. I bought the long shaft and returned it.
I am impressed - Full throttle lasts for 1/2 hr, mid-range 1 hour and slow speed six hours. Everytime I take it out it comes back with 80% charged. The self-contained battery recharges in 3 hours if it is 80%.

Make sure your motor mount has bored holes for the motor mount bracket screws.

Need to make sure the plugin for the charger doesn't get wet - one draw back for a marine battery :confused: I plug the opening with Di-Electric grease between charges.

So far so good.

Back