motor mount

Rod

i have a Lehr 2.5 propane outboard. the shaft is only 15'. what mount would be recommended for this?
I was thinking of an adjustable height mount.

I'm using a Torqeedo electric motor with standard length shaft on a factory installed motor mount. It works well except it drags in the water slightly when titled up under sail. Obviously it would be preferable if you could avoid this.

thanks Jeremy.
is standard length 15? if not, would the standard factory mount work with a 15 inch shaft?
I just ordered the motor mount from Catalina Direct, should get it tomorrow.
are you having problems with the rudder hitting the mount or the engine?

Hi Rod,
I'm not sure about how 15 inch shaft length motors will work with the factory motor mount, but I did have issues wtih the rudder making contact with the factory motor mount. I also ordered my mount from Catalina Direct and they won't give you much informating regarding the installation of the mount. I finally got engineering drawings and pictures from the Catalina folks in California. I also contacted Catalina in Florida where the Catalina Capri 14.2 sailboats were made. They were helpful, but would not offer a solution for this problem. I did resolve it with some help from other members of this forum and you can research it on this forum by using the search box at the top right hand corner of this website.................WB

I also have the standard factory motor mount but I ordered it with two right brackets so I could offset it away from the rudder by a few extra inches. this has worked for me there is no contact. see photos hopefully attached.

Attachments

• motor mount installation using 2 rh brackets.JPG
    motor mount installation using 2 rh brackets.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 95
  • RIGHT SIDE BRACKETS.JPG
    RIGHT SIDE BRACKETS.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 89
I just got my motor mount this pm. You guys are right it will be in contact with the rudder. Bill you mentioned in your older post from last year that somebody turned the brackets inward and it worked. I have not tried it yet but I am thinking that switching the left and right brackets so that both would be turning inwards would work. any problems with this? I tried calling Catalina to see if a I could get a right bracket but they were closed.

Bill where were you able to order the right bracket alone? I am considering taking the mount to my local steel fabricator to see if they could make me a right side bracket or may be bend the left bracket inward.

Hi Rod,
I too experimented with the mount before drilling holes in the transom of my boat. Using the recommended location for the top left bolt hole per the engineering drawings, which is 6 inches from the port side edge, it is not possible to install the mount without having a clearance issue between the rudder and the mount.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work to reverse the left and right bracket to the mount with the mounting surface turned inward. This gives you good access to the hardware on the inside of the boat above the seat bench on the left side. Catalina (in Florida) will only sell you mount brackets in pairs, which would be around 68.00 plus shipping. That was the price quoted to me several months ago. Catalina Direct will not do anything. I was able to find the vendor that Catalina uses to make the brackets, and they did sell me one right side bracket. At that time, no shipping charge was added. Your idea of getting a local shop to fabricate you a right bracket would work, assuming it's not too pricey? I can send you the info on the vendor that makes the bracket, but I'll have to check my files and then get back to you later. Maybe you could send an email and we can go at it that way? [email protected] Also, they recommend using 1/4-20 bolts. I used 5/16-20 bolts. Additionally I used 1/4 polyethelyne spacers between the mount and the transom. I don't know about bending the bracket, but I'm sure a shop can tell you what is possible. It's really frustrating to have to go to the extra trouble to make it right, but in the end, I think it's worth it. For sure, you don't want to drill holes in your boat and then find it's not going to work.............WB

If you reverse the brackets both of the motor clamps might be half on steel and half on the motor mount. In my case, one motor clamp is half on, half off, while the other is fully flat on the mount.

I'm not sure what you are saying, but before I made the installation of the mount on my boat, I did reverse the left and right brackets, and then positioned the mount on the transom to see what kind of clearance would be gained. As one member on this forum said, it worked for him and I saw no problem with the mount being installed that way. The only concern I had by doing it this way, is the mounting surface of the brackets turned inward would be closer together. At the factory, Catalina when manufacturing these boats, glassed in wood between the two layers of the transom for this purpose. Had I not been able to get an extra right side bracket, I would have went this route. WB

After reading your post again, I now see what you are saying. I guess it depends on how far apart the mounting clamps of your motor are spaced. In my case, I have a Mercury 3.5 long shaft motor, and it would have fit between the brackets...........WB

Rod,
Jeremy makes a good point. If you decide to reverse the brackets, be sure and first measure the distance between the motor mounting clamps to assure it will fit between the brackets. WB

Hi guys!
The above photos are my updates from my problem with the mount. Thanks for all the help especially Bill.
I had my local welding shop bend the flap thus the two are facing the same way.

Back