Most used Sailing Watch??

JuanCH

Hi all!! I am considering buying a new sailing watch. Any ideas? Which one is the most used among sailors? Thanks!

I just use a basic waterproof digital watch, much cheaper than buying a full racing watch. Sure, it doesn't have all the features, but I figure there are so many other ways I could improve my race before I spend that money...

Mines a fairly basic casio, cost me about £20. Has stopwatch and countdown on it so does everything I need it to do without the cost of a sailing specific one.

I use the Optimum Time OS 315 Yellow Sailing Watch.... I really like it because it counts me in and beeps on the start line. I would recommend it but it costs about £40 so it is expensive

In the past I used the various Timex/Casios on my wrist. Tried them on the mast, but digits weren't big enough for my eyes. Switched to the Ronstan watch with digits that most masters could see.. Works well for that (and only that, it screams "nerd/dork" if you wear it on your wrist)
Snap4.jpg

Ronstan = Optimum Time, except one is yellow and the other is blue.
I beleive Ronstan 'badge label' the Optimum time device.

Oh yeah, and the huge price difference...... >$100 in the US/ Canada versus ~40UKP in England

I recently got a Timex Ironman with a big, fat start button right on the face. Best sailing watch I have ever owned. Got for ~$30 at WallyWorld.

I use the Casio Sea Pathfinder SPS300C which is a fantastic sailing watch.
It has everything that you would want plus more!
Including:
  • Tide/moon phase
  • Countdown timer (any time up to 60 mins) - (also has a relay timer so if you miss a 5 minute you can catch the 4 minute)
  • Simple stopwatch
  • Large number display
  • 100m water resistance
  • 10 year battery life
  • 5 different alarms
  • Dual time
  • Simple start/stop and reset buttons on the side.
I have used this watch for racing for years and I wouldn't have wanted different.

FWIW I ordered an Optimum Time OS315 watch online from the UK. It took 10 days to arrive from the UK to the US West Coast, which seemed pretty good to me. It ended up costing about $64 US compared to around $100 for the Ronstan version so it was worth the wait.

Back