More than one boat??

Throwdown

I love my Buttercup, and have sailed her every chance I can, but...I've recently been out on some bigger boats, sunset cruising, racing, and I'm just starting to think about getting Buttercup a bigger sister that I could take hub and pup out for sunset and cooler weather sailing. And I had as much fun restoring as I do sailing, so it would be a reasonable project boat. I have cabin fever already, so I thought I would throw this out to the sunfish group. How many of you have a second bigger boat? I'm looking Capri 18, Catalina 22 type. And what is your experience with how much you sail each of your boats? Is a bigger boat worth the money and hassle? I lake sail only, and would have it in a slip. Expecting cost 2-5k, then slip costs $120 a month. Time is not an issue, puttering is the objective!

In my opinion you can never have too many boats. The 22 ft would be a great second boat and there are plenty of Catalina 22's on the used market from bad to good shape and all prices within your budget. If you don't need a trailer for the boat then you can look at the keel version of the Catalina 22 or perhaps the O'Day 222 or Cal 22.

I would go with a

upload_2014-11-18_10-57-23.jpeg

:)

Last edited:
I would always look to see what others around me are sailing, especially at the local sailing clubs. There are a number of reasons for this, not the least being that a big part of the enjoyment factor comes from group activities, or at least having that option. Plus resale, plus spare parts and local expertise. Plus maybe there is a reason that the active sailors in the area made that boat choice, so I would ask. Critical mass in sailing fleets is most helpful.

For example, if I were taking up sailing a boat in that size category at Canyon Lake, I would take a good look at perhaps a J22. Why? I don't sail that venue, however when I looked up the season roster at LCYC I saw that more than half the fleet was J22's, with the rest made up of a variety of boats. I'd check around any other clubs also, but if the majority of local boats in that size category were one particular class, that would probably be my first consideration.

If that was not my actual purchase choice I would likely have some over riding reason. Chances are, however, that if the existing owners in the fleet thought they had a new recruit, they would help get that sailor set up with a boat. Even if I wasn't into competition I would explore that route, as there are often social (and support) aspects also.

Last edited:
Currently looking at a bunch of catalina 22's, a holder 20 and a capri 18. The holder is tempting as I could dry sail it, and it's race able, but no cabin to speak of, roller furler not allowed. The capri 18 is in excellent shape with a good cabin, roller furler, but too heavy for my little car, so I'd need to have it in a slip, no motor, so I'd have to buy one and pay for bottom painting. The Catalina's are all older, but decent shape and have good motors, biminis.
Prices are all basically the same within a couple hundred.

J22's are just to racey for me and I have to have something I could single hand

Where are you located? We might be selling a Capri 18 for the Skipper's parents. It is a 1989 and in great shape, lightly sailed. We put a new Suzuki 4hp four stroke on it and the trailer is in great shape. Just had our local boatyard put bottom paint on it this Summer, before that it lived on a trailer. The boat is in Navarre, Florida, close to Pensacola.

The Capri 18 is one of the most balanced boats we have ever sailed. It is heavy enough to carry through a tack in light winds, and light enough to move smartly under relatively little canvas. It is a great pocket cruiser, plenty of room in the cabin. We also had a Catalina 22 also and prefer the 18 because it is more manageable.

We have a 17 foot Daysailer and 19 foot Drascombe Lugger, so we are full up on boats. We primarily sail the Sunfish, but get the Daysailer and Lugger out quite a bit. The Capri is at the In Laws in a slip and that is fun also. Having that boat in a slip is preferred by us because of the mast stepping evolution. They are all worth the experience and the money. I'm getting ready to pay $4700 just for a 25hp outboard! If you have a slip and you want a small cabin, go with the Capri. If you want hit multiple locations, look for a daysailer that your car can pull like a West Wight Potter, a Sage, Sunbird, Compaq...a centerboard will make launching and recovery easier

I'll find out if they are still in selling mode. Give me a call if you like (850) 449-4841.

Kent

Last edited:
I race a Catalina 22 and I think it's just about the perfect boat. The owner dry sails it--stores it on a trailer mast up in a boat yard with the rest of the fleet. I agree that you should look at what active fleets there are in your area, for lots of reasons (resale parts, help, racing). There are a ton of c-22s pretty much everywhere for used parts and then catalina direct is nice to have.

You can never go wrong with a Catalina 22, 2nd most popular boat ever built. If the goal is a fun day sail with 2-3 friends and your tow vehicle is small, the the ODay Daysailer is another great option. The mast is easy to step if you add a tabernacle and the boat flies with the full set of sails. We actually put a smaller main on ours to tone it down a bit :) Boat weighs around 700 pounds, to me it feels like a big Sunfish. Centerboard is nice to have around shallow waters. And they have a great support Forum.

k

Last edited:
I added an O'Day Daysailer II shortly after getting my Sunfish. I dry moor it at my local lake (mast must stay up) and I'm sailing in 30 min. max. It has been a great boat for the family to be out on the water for an afternoon. I don't think I'd enjoy sailing a cabin boat as much and I like that the boat is fairly lightweight for its size. I might get a bit more use out of a cabin boat though. Check out the daysailer.org forum.

TAKE YOUR TIME! I agree strongly with minifish2. You should be a member of your local sailing club and see what they're sailing. Then, if your Club is like mine, sailors love to have interested crew on board so that you can make a well-informed decision. Don't hurry. There will always be plenty of boats out there. Catalina 22 is only one of many good choices.

I like the idea of having two sailboats; one wet and the other dry sailing. I love my Capri 14.2 but sailing in the cold, higher winds, rain, snow, etc is not my idea of having fun in a boat that may put me in the water with little warning. It is great to have a "larger" (depending on your prospective) boat that you can keep warm in on the coldest days/nights. I have sailed in freezing rain and dodged the sheets of ice breaking off of the sails as I tack and as dumb as it sounds, I love it. My wife also likes to be out in the foul weather but she tends to go onto the heated cabin frequently; someone has to go after more scotch! Yep, having a Capri or similar small boat is a blast but I find comfort on the "bad" days in a larger boat. Two boats provides the best of two worlds making it possible go sail just about anytime the mood strikes.

I agree that having a boat like the others around you is generally a good choice but I have found that if you find a friendly group the type of boat you sail makes little difference. Well, I would not choose a 50' ocean going yacht and expect to fit into a group of Capri 14.2 folks:D You will probably find a boat that you fall in love with and is close to the size of the folks you plan to hang out with and has all of the things you are looking for in a boat and be happy. The objective is to sail daily if you wish and then hopefully fit in with the crowd. I find that a large cooler of beer in the summer removes most barriers related to group activities:)...

I've got a Cape Dory 22 which is a grand boat (and the prettiest boat on the lake). The Sunfish is the new acquisition. I agree that seeing what your local club sails is the best if you plan to do any racing. The Cape Dory is a heavy boat and great to take out folks who don't have a lot of sailing experience, since she is so stable.

Back