Mooring Cover allowing for rigged set up

indiegrlus

I have a Catalina Capri that we would like to leave moored in a small harbor on Lake Michigan. I am looking for a cover and any other necessary equipment (eg. boom crutch) that would allow us to leave the boat as rigged as possible between sails. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am wondering if a full cover is necessary, or whether just a sail cover might be sufficient. I will leave the boat moored for about one month each summer.

Thank you!

A full cover and boom crutch would be great but a little over kill for my budget. I have a toping lift for the boom and prefer to simply remove the sail each time – no big deal and perhaps better treatment of the sail. The toping lift is handy while using the boat while a crutch and bulky cover is just something more to be wrestled and stored stored. Just my thoughts…:rolleyes:

We keep our Capri on a lake in Northern Wisconsin from June to the end of September. The boat came with a canvas cover for the main and a furling jib-both have been fantastic, and I highly recommend either or both. It is so nice to just jump in the boat and cast off without a lot of set up. This year I rigged a topping lift as the boom crutch was a PAIN. For the $50 dollars I invested in line and fittings the topping lift will pay for itself on the first sail. I cannot imagine a canvas cover for the main being over $200; however a furler setup can be expensive if you need a new sail as the hardware starts around $165 ish. Hope this helps.

Pat

Last edited:
We keep our Capri on a lake in Northern Wisconsin from June to the end of September. The boat came with a canvas cover for the main and a furling jib-both have been fantastic, and I highly recommend either or both. It is so nice to just jump in the boat and cast off without a lot of set up. This year I rigged a topping lift as the boom crutch was a PAIN. For the $50 dollars I invested in line and fittings the topping lift will pay for itself on the first sail. I cannot imagine a canvas cover for the main being over $200; however a furler setup can be expensive if you need a new sail as the hardware starts around $165 ish. Hope this helps.

Pat
thank you this is super hepful as we do not yet have a topping rig or boom crutch (or furling jib). I don't mind rigging just the jib but would like to leave the main rigged if at all possible.

A full cover and boom crutch would be great but a little over kill for my budget. I have a toping lift for the boom and prefer to simply remove the sail each time – no big deal and perhaps better treatment of the sail. The toping lift is handy while using the boat while a crutch and bulky cover is just something more to be wrestled and stored stored. Just my thoughts…:rolleyes:
thank you--looks like a "no" on the boom crutch!

I have seen a lot of different posts regarding the topping rig. I will purchase mine from Catalina Direct. Besides the kit, what tools and diagrams are needed? Thanks!!

I did not use a kit, but created my own. Tools: a drill and various size small bits to pre drill holes. Screw driver-that was it. I purchased one small nylon cleat, @ 40' of 1/4 line, one caribiner, a stainless "strap", and a pulley for the top of the mast. I routed mine up the port side of the mast/boom. Took all of 40 minutes.

Hope this helps

Pat

Yes--thank you; very helpful. I will look for photos and drawings too. I know I saw some somewhere on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back